Multifarious Muncie -- Muncie IN 01 July 2016

Just a recap on our DCI LIVE experience.

1) my house speakers sounded better than the movie premiere so not going back to that ever again.

2) Crown and Blue Stars were the favorites of the night by all including several that haven't watched a single show until last night.

The movie premier was a wonderful visual experience, but the audio stunk. Had to ask the theater manager 4 times to turn it up. Plus, those movie system are set to bring out the spoken voice frequencies. I'm with you, not sure if i'll go back to the theater. A waste of $$. Never captured the power of the audio with any corps.

I complete agree with this quote from you that I in no way edited.

I agree with the quote that you in no way edited as well.

• Like 3

I actually love this idea. "Silent Movie" signs would really add some personality, and wouldn't necessarily camp it up if they handled it well.

Works for me!

Probably. I have gotten a lot of heat over the years when I speak my opinions. I just feel that BD, Crown, Cadets, Cavies, and SCV have better and stronger shows overall this year than Bluecoats. I do think Bluecoats show is better than last years show, but I think the level of all the top 6 is probably the best ever.

2016 Bluecoats = 1982 Phantom Regiment. Just remember the World Series champion isn't determined at the All-Star break....

I actually love this idea. "Silent Movie" signs would really add some personality, and wouldn't necessarily camp it up if they handled it well.

Oh dear God, what did I start? It's a "Spaghetti" Western, NOT a silent film. If it were silent then there would be no playing, just marching. I don't support this idea and if they did this, ID have to stop supporting Crown. Everybody wants everything handed to them with these shows. Clearly, nobody has watched any high school from Texas... Edited by UKSuperman
  • Like 2

If it were silent then there would be no playing, just marching.

Actually, silent films were almost always accompanied by live music, so "silent" would not rule out the brass and drums from playing. I agree, however, that the "Silent picture" theme should probably not be applied to this particular show, which is geared to the late 1960's Italian-made western genre.

That said, I DO think that a drum corps might well consider exploring a visual theme tied to silent films, which might even use dialogue cards like the example I gave above. I would think that there is much visual material to plunder, especially within German Expressionism, which would meld well with certain composers.

• Like 2

Ok, a silent film show? That actually sounds bad ###. Another thread another time maybe, but that has cool written all over it. Could lend itself to some incredibly clever musical and visual ideas. Like Eleran said, they're usually accompanied by a score that did a lot of portraying itself.

2017, I'm looking at you.

Ok, a silent film show? That actually sounds bad ###. Another thread another time maybe, but that has cool written all over it. Could lend itself to some incredibly clever musical and visual ideas. Like Eleran said, they're usually accompanied by a score that did a lot of portraying itself.

2017, I'm looking at you.

I stand corrected. Regardless, people complain about cheese and then want this? It would be nothing but cheese. No corps would do it without cheese.

Sorry, eating Colby jack right now. Lol.