East Coast Classic Chestnut Hill BC.

Folks, I'm a huge fan of this entire activity...But I believe in calling things what they are. As far as the Cadets closing the gap tonight? That's nothing but a healthy dose of east coast sympathy/preference from the judges. It's a shame too because those kids in the Cadets are extremely talented and they're working their tails off! But their show is a giant turd. And the show designers are to blame for that...and shame on them. Congrats to them winning high percussion tonight...Well deserved!

I was at BOTH the A-town AND East Coast Classic...Cadets are INDEED closing the gap...I zoned out watching Cadets at A-town...but did see a HUGE improvement from Cadets tonight...that gap shrinkage was well deserved IMO.

• Like 2

Also, they haven't really been from the Boston area in ages... enough with the "From Hyde Park" crap. Just because their office is located there??

The parent company of the Boston Crusaders has made a concerting effort to get back to its roots in HYDE PARK...IMO...

Inspire Arts & Music brought a new world percussion program (Latin American and African influenced drumming) to school children grades K through 8. Partnering with the Hyde Park Community Center in Hyde Park, MA, Inspire Arts & Music has launched a new program called HpYPE (Hype Park Youth Percussion Ensemble).

Following some renovations, Inspire Arts & Music and the Boston Crusaders plan to relocate their offices to Hyde Park, as well as establish a retail location for its Great East Music Store.

“As we looked into purchasing this building, we were met with tremendous support and enthusiasm from Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, City Council member Tim McCarthy, and Dedham Savings Bank, which provided financing for the acquisition,” said Woodall.
“We hope that in time this will be a gathering place for friends and alumni, and we look forward to partnering with our existing tenants to make this building a vibrant center of Hyde Park’s ‘Avenue of the Arts’”, said Cronin.

Well, since I counted and timed corps in the previous two webcasts, I may as well put down the numbers for this one too:

Muchachos

26 performing members (12 brass, 5 battery [3/1/1], 4 pit, 5 guard) + 3 honor guard

Show length: 10 min. 10 sec.

Crusaders Senior

73 performing members (45 brass, 18 battery [10/0/4/4], 0 pit, 10 guard) + 8 honor guard

Show length: 14 min. 14 sec.

7th Regiment

102 members (48 brass, 24 battery [9/5/5/5], 13 pit, 17 guard)

Show length: 9 min. 37 sec.

Spartans

103 members (51 brass, 17 battery [8/4/5], 14 pit, 21 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 41 sec.

Jersey Surf

126 members (66 brass, 23 battery [9/5/5/4], 11 pit, 26 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 39 sec.

Crossmen

142 members (74 brass, 21 battery [9/3/5/4], 12 pit, 35 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 16 sec.

Boston Crusaders

144 members (76 brass, 18 battery [9/4/5], 14 pit, 36 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 56 sec.

Phantom Regiment

143 members (77 brass, 17 battery [8/5/4], 13 pit, 36 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 13 sec. + 39 sec. performed preshow

Cadets

142 members (73 brass [includes stationary soloist], 19 battery [9/5/5], 17 pit [includes violin], 33 guard [includes god])

Show length: 11 min. 27 sec. + 1 min. 18 sec. preshow

Bluecoats

145 members (78 brass, 18 battery [9/4/5], 11 pit, 38 guard)

Show length: 10 min. 45 sec.

How long does the brass-line play in each of these?...I heard that Bluecoats brass plays for about 6 minutes of their entire show...but I never timed it...Love the show anyway...

I wish I had a nickel for every trombone gliss this season. I could retire!

Loving it!

Seriously. It's the year of the trombone glissando. There must have been a meeting...

I was at BOTH the A-town AND East Coast Classic...Cadets are INDEED closing the gap...I zoned out watching Cadets at A-town...but did see a HUGE improvement from Cadets tonight...that gap shrinkage was well deserved IMO.

Thanks for that. We are really dirty right now. I sat next to staff at ensemble Friday afternoon. They are concerned with getting the show right but know it's filthy. They are pacing things so it peaks in August, not mid July like last year. They know Crown, BD, Bloo are much cleaner. They know it's a shorter season. Give them another 3 weeks and you'll see much better clarity but still room to grow and peak.
  • Like 1

From an older fan, after watching two broadcasts . . . .

Cadets really ARE building that show into something that can finish high in Indy. Maybe even 3rd, I think. The ongoing changes I've noticed have been good ones. The "statue" theme is difficult to pull off, but it's coming around with improved color choices and still imagery. Probably would have better results if all the statues didn't become so animated all at once, and so early. Perhaps a few, large, paintings of statues on either side perimeter. Something that says to the audience throughout the entire show, "Hey, this is about statues, I recognize a few of those!" Whatever decisions are made between now and Indy, this is a strong corps already. There's been no drop-off since last year. I enjoy watching them.

Bluecoats are understandably popular. They have a unique approach that's easy to "get." It's a novelty, even cute. Of course, they are strong musically, and well polished early on. I'm not so sure this show will win Gold, however. There's a simplicity to it all that I find emotionally underwhelming. In no way, do I mean to suggest easy.

Phantom Regiment's guard is elegant and flows throughout beautifully. And, why not? That's the Phantom Regiment image we've come to expect. That creamy, rich, lower brass layer is still there and will only get stronger. At Finals, Phantom should again be stunning.

I enjoyed Crossmen's music and theme better last season. That airy "flight" theme with vocals was wonderful. Glad I was able to purchase the Blu-ray!

Same for Boston. That 2015 show really grew on me in a way this one probably won't. Maybe it was the talented, well-integrated vocalist I miss most. Such stage presence! The large windmill props sometimes create a jumbled mess when inside a tighter-packed brass line. They present an overwhelming amount of the color White that seems to erase the corps proper.

Blue Stars have a fascinating production. Sharp looking, big brass, great movement. Looking forward to enjoying them several more times!

Compared to what I viewed on the Muncie broadcast, I'm thinking Carolina Crown would have beaten everyone last night. I tend to think it is going to stay that way, too! Cavaliers are putting together a real monster of a show. Superb "drum corps ingredients" have taken over the political references in my mind. I'm able now to mostly tune that out and just concentrate on the excellent execution of the show. High level performer technique. What a color guard! There is no doubt, this is Cavaliers! (inject a little more Green, please).

Haven't see Blue Devils, SCV, Blue Knights, or Madison yet. . . . but, is it time now to add more levels to the Finals awards podium?

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 3

Seriously. It's the year of the trombone glissando. There must have been a meeting...

Or, EVERYONE got the memo.

From an older fan, after watching two broadcasts . . . .

Cadets really ARE building that show into something that can finish high in Indy. Maybe even 3rd, I think. The ongoing changes I've noticed have been good ones. The "statue" theme is difficult to pull off, but it's coming around with improved color choices and still imagery. Probably would have better results if all the statues didn't become so animated all at once, and so early. Perhaps a few, large, paintings of statues on either side perimeter. Something that says to the audience throughout the entire show, "Hey, this is about statues, I recognize a few of those!" Whatever decisions are made between now and Indy, this is a strong corps already. There's been no drop-off since last year. I enjoy watching them.

Bluecoats are understandably popular. They have a unique approach that's easy to "get." It's a novelty, even cute. Of course, they are strong musically, and well polished early on. I'm not so sure this show will win Gold, however. There's a simplicity to it all that I find emotionally underwhelming. In no way, do I mean to suggest easy.

Phantom Regiment's guard is elegant and flows throughout beautifully. And, why not? That's the Phantom Regiment image we've come to expect. That creamy, rich, lower brass layer is still there and will only get stronger. At Finals, Phantom should again be stunning.

I enjoyed Crossmen's music and theme better last season. That airy "flight" theme with vocals was wonderful. Glad I was able to purchase the Blu-ray!

Same for Boston. That 2015 show really grew on me in a way this one probably won't. Maybe it was the talented, well-integrated vocalist I miss most. Such stage presence! The large windmill props sometimes create a jumbled mess when inside a tighter-packed brass line. They present an overwhelming amount of the color White that seems to erase the corps proper.

Blue Stars have a fascinating production. Sharp looking, big brass, great movement. Looking forward to enjoying them several more times!

Compared to what I viewed on the Muncie broadcast, I'm thinking Carolina Crown would have beaten everyone last night. I tend to think it is going to stay that way, too! Cavaliers are putting together a real monster of a show. Superb "drum corps ingredients" have taken over the political references in my mind. I'm able now to mostly tune that out and just concentrate on the excellent execution of the show. High level performer technique. What a color guard! There is no doubt, this is Cavaliers! (inject a little more Green, please).

Haven't see Blue Devils, SCV, Blue Knights, or Madison yet. . . . but, is it time now to add more levels to the Finals awards podium?

That was a really well typed review. I think the Cadets might shock some people if they can explode onto the scene later in the season, I definitely wouldn't doubt them.