Summer Music Preview - Cranston, RI July 5th

My thoughts on last night:

While Cranston is not the All American small coastal town that Bristol is, and Cranston Stadium is not an old fashioned football stadium like Bristol, and there were no fireworks, Cranston Stadium is overall a better venue for viewing, parking, and sitting.

I thought all the WC corps were a bit over scored, but each corps was very good and three of the four (Cadets, PR, and BAC) had their best shows to date with the one that may have performed a better show on Sunday (highly debated by people that saw all three New England shows) still had a solid early season performance.

Cadets: less volume but far more nuance and control for "Pines of Rome." Guard seemed more controlled. If Bloo had been there, it could have been very interesting.

Phantom Regiment: I am really enjoying PR's show more each time I see it. Musically the show is amazing and while it's not all typical Phantom music, it has that Phantom feel to it. Will Pitts was in the audience and you could tell he was pleased with the show. "Young Person's Guide" was cleaner, but it didn't have the power throughout it had in Chestnut Hill or Lynn, but we're talking thirty seconds or so.

Crossmen: it may have been where I sat, but it appeared that the large banners which cover the color guard equipment were moved which made the corps appear less boxed in. The performance lacked some energy musically, particularly the brass, but it was still a solid performance. 100% original music (well you do hear strains of Vivaldi and "Carol of the Bells" so 99%) is a huge risk but I find the music somewhat catchy and I'm enjoying it.

Boston Crusaders: BAC fans went home happy last evening and may have had a good night's sleep. Changes still need to be made, but the show had energy and if last night's show had been performed last week, critics would have had less to say. There were some changes to the show and the windmills seemed less of a problem.it seems the critiques range from it not being edgy or sophisticated enough for some, and not "Man of La Mancha" enough for others. Note to announcers: the show title should be pronounced "Key-hoe-tic" not "Kwix-Otic." Just listen to the soundtrack or ask a high school Spanish teacher.

Spartans: best performance to date. They did step things up a bit this year and the end of the season could be interesting. The guard is very good nd the opening solo of "Gabriel's Oboe" is great. Kind of wished the did more music from "The Mission."

7th Regiment: the corps appears to be younger this year, but they love what they are doing and it is evident.

• Like 3

Crossmen have potential, but if they don't make big changes visually they may fall behind

I'd like to see what this show looks like when they get it cleaner. I already appreciate the visuals more now than when they first performed because the shapes are easier to discern.

I wouldn't make major changes until after the San Antonio regional.

I'd like to see what this show looks like when they get it cleaner. I already appreciate the visuals more now than when they first performed because the shapes are easier to discern.

I wouldn't make major changes until after the San Antonio regional.

Usually I think major changes after San Antonio are too little, too late, but in the case of this year's Crossmen, I have to agree. Performing original music is always a risk, and it has to be done well. I think if Crossmen focus on music right now, and continue improving a very good and original music book, tweaks after San Antonio will enhance things.

My thoughts on last night:

While Cranston is not the All American small coastal town that Bristol is, and Cranston Stadium is not an old fashioned football stadium like Bristol, and there were no fireworks, Cranston Stadium is overall a better venue for viewing, parking, and sitting.

I thought all the WC corps were a bit over scored, but each corps was very good and three of the four (Cadets, PR, and BAC) had their best shows to date with the one that may have performed a better show on Sunday (highly debated by people that saw all three New England shows) still had a solid early season performance.

Cadets: less volume but far more nuance and control for "Pines of Rome." Guard seemed more controlled. If Bloo had been there, it could have been very interesting.

Phantom Regiment: I am really enjoying PR's show more each time I see it. Musically the show is amazing and while it's not all typical Phantom music, it has that Phantom feel to it. Will Pitts was in the audience and you could tell he was pleased with the show. "Young Person's Guide" was cleaner, but it didn't have the power throughout it had in Chestnut Hill or Lynn, but we're talking thirty seconds or so.

Crossmen: it may have been where I sat, but it appeared that the large banners which cover the color guard equipment were moved which made the corps appear less boxed in. The performance lacked some energy musically, particularly the brass, but it was still a solid performance. 100% original music (well you do hear strains of Vivaldi and "Carol of the Bells" so 99%) is a huge risk but I find the music somewhat catchy and I'm enjoying it.

Boston Crusaders: BAC fans went home happy last evening and may have had a good night's sleep. Changes still need to be made, but the show had energy and if last night's show had been performed last week, critics would have had less to say. There were some changes to the show and the windmills seemed less of a problem.it seems the critiques range from it not being edgy or sophisticated enough for some, and not "Man of La Mancha" enough for others. Note to announcers: the show title should be pronounced "Key-hoe-tic" not "Kwix-Otic." Just listen to the soundtrack or ask a high school Spanish teacher.

Spartans: best performance to date. They did step things up a bit this year and the end of the season could be interesting. The guard is very good nd the opening solo of "Gabriel's Oboe" is great. Kind of wished the did more music from "The Mission."

7th Regiment: the corps appears to be younger this year, but they love what they are doing and it is evident.

Thanks for the review, Tim K.

As long as your treating. Nice tax write off!

If you write if off your taxes, is it really charity and generous giving or just being a shrewd business person getting a narcissistic rebound as compared to being caring and helpful???

If you write if off your taxes, is it really charity and generous giving or just being a shrewd business person getting a narcissistic rebound as compared to being caring and helpful???

"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's".

If you write if off your taxes, is it really charity and generous giving or just being a shrewd business person getting a narcissistic rebound

I see no reason why this caricature of yours for that Giver can't be both, and in equal measure too.

Edited by BRASSO

Took a kid from my HS band to the show...he was flat out amazed. Was kinda disappointed that there were not 5$ clearance bins though. I remember other corps having them in years past.