Summer Music Preview - Cranston, RI July 5th

If you write if off your taxes, is it really charity and generous giving or just being a shrewd business person getting a narcissistic rebound as compared to being caring and helpful???

A tax write-off on money given to charity, a scholarship, a donation, etc., does not mean you get all the money back. It simply means you don't pay tax on that money. If you gave $2,500 to a charity the government will let you bypass paying the $500 in taxes that you would normally pay on that money (depending on your tax bracket). So the $2500 still goes to charity, and you are spared of paying the $500 or so in taxes in large part because you didn't keep the money or use it for personal reasons. By doing this the government encourages investment, charitable giving, money for scholarship, etc.

• Like 2

Boston Crusaders: BAC fans went home happy last evening and may have had a good night's sleep. Changes still need to be made, but the show had energy and if last night's show had been performed last week, critics would have had less to say. There were some changes to the show and the windmills seemed less of a problem.it seems the critiques range from it not being edgy or sophisticated enough for some, and not "Man of La Mancha" enough for others. Note to announcers: the show title should be pronounced "Key-hoe-tic" not "Kwix-Otic." Just listen to the soundtrack or ask a high school Spanish teacher.

Actually Tim, the announcer(s) is/are pronouncing it the way the Corps has requested.

If you have access to the Corps' Facebook page, it can be found on an entry dated May 25th.

Note to announcers: the show title should be pronounced "Key-hoe-tic" not "Kwix-Otic." Just listen to the soundtrack or ask a high school Spanish teacher.

13240708_1097081573669118_85840765514043

My thoughts on last night:

Cadets: less volume but far more nuance and control for "Pines of Rome." Guard seemed more controlled. If Bloo had been there, it could have been very interesting.

Interesting that you would say Cadets had less volume...perhaps they pulled back a bit for this show...I thought they had the most volume at both A-town and Boston College shows....BC a great stadium for DC I might add IMO...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Actually Tim, the announcer(s) is/are pronouncing it the way the Corps has requested.

If you have access to the Corps' Facebook page, it can be found on an entry dated May 25th.

They are not only pronouncing it the way the corps requested, they are pronouncing it the way Webster does too! To add to that, I do read their Facebook page, their Tweets, get "Giant Steps" and talk with quite a few alums, and have followed the corps for many years. So I'll have a heap of humble pie before going to bed tonight, although not being able to get to Tanglewood should be punishment enough, but one thing I will stand by, last night's show was the most engaging of their three New England performances.

• Like 1

Interesting that you would say Cadets had less volume...perhaps they pulled back a bit for this show...I thought they had the most volume at both A-town and Boston College shows....BC a great stadium for DC I might add IMO...

I found Cadets performances at BC and Lynn as simply loud, so loud the intricacies of Respighi were lost, but last night I felt I heard Respighi. Perhaps controlled would be a better word. The performance also comvinced me Cadets will add some excitement to the season, especially when BD and SCV are in the mix.

Yes, I only got to see Cadets from periscope. Thanks to whoever that was. Wish we could see the other corps, but I'll take one.

The Cadets definitely sounded fantastic for the most part. The brass and percussion are incredible. I saw some good changes in the visual. Still not wild about the last minute of the show (after the big push). Too much chop n bop, too mundane and not really effective, visually or musically. Also, I still think they can just get rid of the front platforms. I don't feel they add anything special. They could still have their brass run to the front if they wish, but I'm not sure what special significance that short platform holds. Visually it's kind of plain.

Short of that, I think they are performing very well musically (very tough book, too), and the visual will continue to clean. Just hoping they can make some sense of this show for GE sake.

You're welcome

It's still early to make changes and it's a very good show.

I agree, I think the show is solid. It needs a few bells and whistles maybe, but mostly they need to clean it up. Every section is dirty. It's easy to see why Phantom is beating them by 3-4 points. While Phantom doesn't have my favorite show they have some GE that's working and they are much cleaner right now. The Guard is a star this year!