Too Many Tosses!

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think I've seen you say before that you're on guard staff for someone? I would love to actually hear someone talk about what is really judged from someone that actually knows. Maybe even some examples from personal experience this season or in the past. (Of course I would agree with protecting the identity of the group bring discussed) some legit insight on this would be wonderful.

I agree. While corpsband does seem to have residual knowledge, I would much rather hear it from someone with actual experience.

• Like 1

Sorry. Achievemeant and precision does not in any way shape or form equate to demand. This is no demand in the sheets.

So a guard that throws only fives would score the same as a guard that throws sevens, all other things being equal? In this thread, Naked Eye said the opposite.

Demand isn't in the sheets. There is no don't that year on year Crown had the hardest book (as does Blue Stars) but that doesn't count for much. BD had one of the easier books but it is performed so expressively and cleanly. They win because of their staging and variety.

Not sure if you are referring to my comments (although I never said there were too many tosses) but as an instructor of a 10 top IW guard finalist I think have the credentials to make an educated comment.....

I was more referring to everyone jumping down everyone's throat when the thread started without asking a simple question of is that person knowledgable or not, if they are great done if not just shed some light on the caption. We all have our opinions but it has gotten to the point of this person seems to know more than that one and gotten a little out of hand at some points. I personally enjoy all the guards and what they can achieve and there own identity and style.

• Like 1

Not sure if you are referring to my comments (although I never said there were too many tosses) but as an instructor of a 10 top IW guard finalist I think have the credentials to make an educated comment.....

Here's what you said... I did edit it a bit -- took out the "way". But I'm pretty sure you're saying Crown tosses too much which is the logical equivalent of too many tosses.

I agree Crown tosses way too much and they do it extremely well. The reason BD has won guard for the past 8 years and will win again this year is quite simply they have more variety in their writing, are so well staged and of course are super clean. They don't feel the need to keep repeating skills as other do and find differrnt ways to interpret the music.

We will have to agree to disagree on Coats book v Cadets and see how it plays out but whilst I think Cadet's guard are vastly improved over last year, I don't think they will beat Bluecoats guard this year - even when clean (& to get clean they need to improve their technique).

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Well, no matter what "judgespeak" they use to support their opinion, of course their own taste factors into it. If Corps A and Corps B both are technically achieving what they appear to set out to do, the judge is still going to lean to the one they personally like better. Maybe they like a toss every third count or maybe they feel it is overkill. It comes down to what they say "works" and what is not as strong. All people who create and evaluate have an inherent sense of what "works," and they often align, but not always. There is really no way around a system run by humans and their feelings.

I think 7s are the new standard and the lack of them in recent years is what started to chip away at Cadets' guard strength. BD and Crown are the kings of sky-high tosses and it started to be really noticeable that Cadets were topping out in the 5-range. You don't have to do a lot, but if you don't do even one, it eventually gets remembered. Again this is the seasoning for the sauce, and should not be the entire sauce.

If you demonstrate a skill so much that it gets boring, then we knew 3 repetitions ago that you can do it. Move on! BD seems to do lots of unique things a few times as opposed to a few things lots of times. I feel like they have been knocked for that by the masses, but I find it to make for a more interesting overall production. It's like little prizes along the way that seem fresh. And I tend to remember those very specifically, as opposed to stuff that might technically be different, from a catch or release standpoint, etc, but blends together in overall effect after a while.

Are the sentences I have bolded accurate or not?

I was more referring to everyone jumping down everyone's throat when the thread started without asking a simple question of is that person knowledgable or not, if they are great done if not just shed some light on the caption. We all have our opinions but it has gotten to the point of this person seems to know more than that one and gotten a little out of hand at some points. I personally enjoy all the guards and what they can achieve and there own identity and style.

I'm confused. Can you clarify who "that person" is? Do you mean corpsband? Or someone replying to corpsband? Or DCI-86, whose post in another thread inspired corpsband to start this one?

Too many?? Too few?? Personally, I'll be most blown away when I see a line of rifles toss the marchers who are holding them.

Asking for objectivity in an inherently subjective activity.. especially in guard where the only thing that can even be "measured" is dropped tosses

Phasing is pretty easy to spot too.

• Like 1