Most moving, riveting moments this year....

Saturn is one of my favorite songs so it'll be pretty hard for me not to get chills from it. Especially with how "Fly to Paradise" hit me last year.

Suddenly I realize (having not read the Playlist thread all that carefully) that the "Saturn" everyone keeps mentioning as BK's closer is not this:

I've never heard of Sleeping at Last before; I shall have to give their (his?) work a listen.

Do you find this to be true only of corps, or of other artforms as well? Ever brought to tears by a great movie (e.g., Pather Panchali) or book (e.g., The Lord of the Rings)?

Yes, "Paul Blart, Mall Cop" was a REAL tear-jerker.

:tounge2:

Actually the scene in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" where Yun-Fat Chow is dying in Michelle Yeoh's arms after being struck by a poison dart (with Zhang Ziyi being too late getting the antidote) always causes a tear with me

• Like 1

I've never heard of Sleeping at Last before; I shall have to give their (his?) work a listen.

It is just one dude Edited by RPK

It's not as if I sit and bawl at drum corps shows but there have been a few times in the past where a "moment" has choked me up, usually as a combination of everything on tbe field; music, visual, character. I know I teared up at Scouts 2011 when the corps stopped and looked up in horror (at the towers coming down) and 2003 Spirit during "October" with the flags of designers gone, like Zingali, Jim Ott. I could see it happening for BK and "Saturn", given their treatment of "To Build a Home" and "Fly to Paradise."

Now, goosebumps are a totally different story. When Crown hits that big blast of "Medea" in the opener I get serious chills.

Not sure about tearjerker yet, but here are my favorite/most riveting moments so far:

1. Blue Devils' ballad - I crowned this ballad of the year before the season even started, I stand by it.

2. SCV's Opener - Pit writing is phenomenal, it seriously alters my mood when I listen to it, very serene. Hornline is gorgeous, mellos are really cranking it out.

3. Bluecoats' Ballad - I'm waiting for this section to gain a little more clarity because the balance between the hornline and soloists have been off, but the arrangement is truly mesmerizing.

4. SCV's ballad - This whole show is basically PR 2010 all over again for me. Except this is the most SCV-sounding ballad ever. Amazing soloist, beautiful pit writing, and the build-up to the climax is masterful.

5. Both of Phantom's ballad's - Two ballads in a show? Yup, that's a Phantom show! Beautiful arrangements, especially the 2nd one. I can't wait to hear it in August when the hornline is maxed out!

6*. BK Closer - I put an asterisk here because it isn't on the field yet... but I'm pre-emptively putting BK's Saturn on my list because the original song itself gives me goosebumps.

Cappy you will not be disappointed- Bocooks arrangement is absolutely stunning. BK worked feverishly the past few days to get it on the field, and it's going to rock!!! My guess is they'll perform it tomorrow at Weber State.

• Like 1

Do you find this to be true only of corps, or of other artforms as well? Ever brought to tears by a great movie (e.g., Pather Panchali) or book (e.g., The Lord of the Rings)?

I know I've almost teared up a bit when my wife got me to go to one of her chick flicks with her. I almost cried all the way on the drive to the movie theatre too, and on more than a couple of occasions too!.

• Like 1

^ second a lot of Cappy's picks - especially the second ballad in Regiments show

also love the Cadets non-ballad and THE flag "toss" at the beginning of it. Wow.