DCI Central Florida - Lakeland, FL July 9th

What are you smokin'??? You are joking right? That's the weakest BD show since 2011. They play well...but the design...so much to change to even medal.

Judges don't agree with you

• Like 1

Was at the show tonight. Heatwave seems to on a pretty good start for a young group.

Really was impressed with Legends. The design reminded me of something Cavies might do.

Not too much to say about Surf. It's a good production.

SoA sounded great but the design lacked so much. I don't think Will Pitts understands that just having the hornline play the HARMONY from Georgia on hits is not nearly as effective as using the MELODY. I'm also pretty sure the brass played no more than 10 notes during Can't Help Falling in Love.

Boston was real nice and definitely deserved the GE win over Crossmen.

I felt like the Crossmen show has great writing and all but I feel like the whole concept they're shooting for falls short.

Cadets was amazing. Great sound and great arrangements across the board. Hearing those horns on Pines of Rome is incredible. I felt like there's a huge disconnect between the first two thirds of the show and the last. Maybe it's just my ADHD brain, but I lose a lot of focus on what is even supposed to be going on once the John Mackey piece starts.

Coats was on fire. There's so much to their show that bootleg recordings and phone videos can't convey; lots of clever uses of electronics that compliment rather than dominate. I feel like their current ending is gonna get a big update for one of the big later season shows; seems like they left it open for something to surprise. Did Coats have a speaker out tonight, though?? Flugel soloist and trombone ensemble couldn't be heard well during their features as far as I knew.

Great night!

Oh....you've spoken to them? Tell me this show is as good as 2012, or 2013, or 2014 or even 2015?

Have you seen it in person? It is just as good as those other years.

I may be the only person in existence who has no idea what everyone is talking about. There is incredible visual demand. Dancing in unison at those high speeds? High intensity notes and fast drill? Balance and core strength when hanging from the slides and playing? What am I missing that makes all of that stuff so much easier than other shows?

because to some people visual demand means running non stop

• Like 3

I'm just speaking to the headroom I see in each program, not predicting how things will end up. Obviously Bloo's programs have been hitting a sweet spot the past two years, but I want them to push harder.

Likewise, Cadets had more demand last year but couldn't clean enough and get GE up to compete, which could be their big issue again this year.

Bluecoats have definitely nailed their designs the last 3 years (including this year). Their show this year is deceptively hard. People are seeing it (either online or live) and thinking it's easy because it looks fun. If you watch closely, their show this year is a monster. Very physical, and the music book is extremely hard.

As with Cadets I don't disagree with your comment, but for the most part their problem this year is program design. They are now in a race to fix, tweak, and re-write as many aspects of the show as they can (that require changing). A+ on effort and on fabulous music, but long-time drum corps people will tell you that making huge changes on the fly (even if you have a plan) is difficult. It's not the program they intended out of the gate. Eventually when you keep changing you spend less time cleaning. If this corps mounts a charge it will definitely bring some excitement and suspense to an already fabulous top 5 or 6 corps. But it's an uphill battle for sure.

• Like 1

SoA sounded great but the design lacked so much. I don't think Will Pitts understands that just having the hornline play the HARMONY from Georgia on hits is not nearly as effective as using the MELODY. I'm also pretty sure the brass played no more than 10 notes during Can't Help Falling in Love.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Will Pitts is not arranging for Spirit this year. He moved to Phantom.

Edited by Fish

Ok, some of you need to relax. I think BD will beat Bluecoats in every single sub caption this year. So what? I also think BD is going to three-peat, and win 2 out of the 3 (brass, percussion, guard) and Visual and GE. And, I hate BD! Well, hates a strong word, but I"m bloody sick of 'em. Do you really give two craps about what I think?

well - we KNOW they'll win guard

another guard could cure cancer and solve the mid-east crisis and they still wouldn't win lol

• Like 2