DCI Central Florida - Lakeland, FL July 9th

I've been suggesting (for years now) the addition of another class. World Class should be an earned division - right now say Crown, BD, Cadets & Coats are moved into "World Class"

National Class would be the remaining top 24 and they would compete throughout the season for their own Regional & World Championships

National Class champion would be crowned Friday night, and then the top 10 National Class and all World Class would advance to the "Grand Championship" on Saturday Night where the World Class & top National Class would compete for the World Championship & Grand Champion (a National Class champion COULD win the Grand Championship - allowing them to advance to "World Class" the following season

Major League Baseball has this. Its called the Major Leagues, and the Minor Leagues ( they'll always remain separate, one superior, one inferior ). And the minor leagues groom their best players to then feed their best players to the Major Leagues. Do we want this ? Hell no. Not in my opinion anyway.

Ironically George, if your idea was implemented in 1980, the Cadets would be gone as a Drum Corps today. Or... at best, resigned to feeding their best marchers each and every year to the 27th Lancers or some such that would be one of the perennial 4 " World Class " Corps that would be preserved and protected under your system. And from 1980 thru today, and more than likely under such an elite protected , entrenched system,... into eternity.

Edited by BRASSO

Does anyone else fear the implications of the Bluecoats winning a title? I love the Bluecoats show. It's my 3rd favorite show this year (see my signature) and I find what they're doing musically with electronics to be amazing. And I hope they continue with that because it's become their identity. But, I also fear that Bluecoats winning the title would encourage that type of costuming among other corps and that concerns me. I have no ill will towards the corps or its members and staff, I simply fear the spread of WGI costuming into the rest of DCI and I think the Bluecoats took it a little too far this year.

Couldn't agree more. It's the first thing I thought when I saw their show. Other corps without the budget will disappear if this becomes the future direction. DCI will go from 22 World Class to a lot fewer and that would be unfortunate for those kids not in the groups with the money. Crusaders have a similar corps proper costume (looks like a tree) rather than a uniform. Blue Knights too. DCI is turning in to WGI on the field. If you look at the surge in credit for visual and GE and less credit for music the past bunch of years and the judges who are now doing both circuits, it's clearly the trend. Soon it will be electronics with a horn or drum solo here and there and lots of dancing/acrobatics. I think those are the implications, whether Bluecoats win or place in top 5 even. (And I really enjoy their show - just concerned for the future too.)

Edited by Fan1993

Major League Baseball has this. Its called the Major Leagues, and the Minor Leagues ( they'll always remain separate, one superior, one inferior ). And the minor leagues groom their best players to then feed their best players to the Major Leagues. Do we want this ? Hell no. Not in my opinion anyway.

Ironically George, if your idea was implemented in 1980, the Cadets would be gone as a Drum Corps today. Or... at best, resigned to feeding their best marchers each and every year to the 27th Lancers or some such that would be one of the perennial 4 " World Class " Corps that would be preserved and protected under your system. And from 1980 thru today, and more than likely under such an elite protected , entrenched system,... into eternity.

you're not understanding the idea at all... I'll take the time to post it more clearly at a later date.

Um, mlb to milb is not about superior to inferior quality. One (milb) is about player development, and the other is about professional quality. A corps (say, Spirit) is not about training its members to go march another corps (say, Crown).

Um, mlb to milb is not about superior to inferior quality. One (milb) is about player development, and the other is about professional quality. A corps (say, Spirit) is not about training its members to go march another corps (say, Crown).

exactly

Couldn't agree more. It's the first thing I thought when I saw their show. Other corps without the budget will disappear if this becomes the future direction. DCI will go from 22 World Class to a lot fewer and that would be unfortunate for those kids not in the groups with the money. Crusaders have a similar corps proper costume (looks like a tree) rather than a uniform. Blue Knights too. DCI is turning in to WGI on the field. If you look at the surge in credit for visual and GE and less credit for music the past bunch of years and the judges who are now doing both circuits, it's clearly the trend. Soon it will be electronics with a horn or drum solo here and there and lots of dancing/acrobatics. I think those are the implications, whether Bluecoats win or place in top 5 even. (And I really enjoy their show - just concerned for the future too.)

I think that this has already been happening to some degree, where music is becoming the afterthought to some of these shows. Even at the high school level. This years champion in a state and class I won't mention didn't play a single note through their winds/horns for the first 3 minutes and then barely anything after that for the last 5 minutes of their show. And when they did play notes they were more or less standing still or playing solos in the midst of body movement, scatter drill and prop manipulation. They took 1st in Music from both judges. Granted what they played was clean, but pretty easy to clean a few bars of music while mostly standing still. So the WGI influence is there and is definitely moving into DCI as well, no question.

To your other point, the corps with the biggest budgets are generally the only ones to make it in the top 6. The rest are all just vying for the last 6-12 spots. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. So DCI has basically turned into a mini elite club at the top 1-5. You could even argue just 1-3.

We just disagree then... no problem. I see the perennial lower placing Corps as essentially uncompensated, unrestricted, " player development " teams for the perennial " Majors ".. Its not these lower Corps intent, of course. But thats what 98% of them become, right at their hatch. Thats the reality of the DCI system and its culture adopted which is totally unlike any other amateur youth competitive sport, anywhere in the world... none of whom would allow such a system to take hold in their leagues... for obvious reasons. Without the annual steady stream of marchers from these lower " teams " to the elites, these elites would be forced to develop, and groom the talent themselves. Plus, any system proposal that might alter this unprecedented institutional entrenchment falls on deaf ears, and would naturally be resisted by the elites and their supporters, as it would pose a threat to their continued decades of competition dominance, and their ability to keep the other Corps exactly where they are.

BD is favored to win it all this year. What a shock, huh ?

Is it still too early to start the 2017 placement prediction thread of who will win it all in 2017 ? ( haha ! )

Edited by BRASSO

We just disagree then... no problem. I see the perennial lower placing Corps as essentially uncompensated, unrestricted, " player development " teams for the perennial " Majors ".. Its not these lower Corps intent, of course. But the reality is the DCI system and its culture adopted is totally unlike any other amateur youth competitive sport, anywhere in the world... none of whom would allow such a system to take hold in their leagues... for obvious reasons. Without the annual steady stream of marchers from these lower " teams " to the elites, these elites would be forced to develop, and groom the talent themselves. Plus, any system proposal that might alter this unprecedented institutional entrenchment falls on deaf ears, and would naturally be resisted by the elites and their supporters, as it would pose a threat ti their continued dominance, and their ability to keep the other Corps exactly where they are.

BD is favored to win this year. What a shock, huh ?

Is it still too early to start the 2017 placement prediction thread of who will win it all in 2017 ? ( haha ! )

which is exactly WHY adding a "national" division so they have a championship to really compete for is a GOOD IDEA

• Like 1

We just disagree then... no problem. I see the perennial lower placing Corps as essentially uncompensated, unrestricted, " player development " teams for the perennial " Majors ".. Its not these lower Corps intent, of course. But the reality is the DCI system and its culture adopted is totally unlike any other amateur youth competitive sport, anywhere in the world... none of whom would allow such a system to take hold in their leagues... for obvious reasons. Without the annual steady stream of marchers from these lower " teams " to the elites, these elites would be forced to develop, and groom the talent themselves. Plus, any system proposal that might alter this unprecedented institutional entrenchment falls on deaf ears, and would naturally be resisted by the elites and their supporters, as it would pose a threat ti their continued dominance, and their ability to keep the other Corps exactly where they are.

BD is favored to win this year. What a shock, huh ?

That's assuming that the same corps are always in the same spots, which is clearly not true. Using the two corps I mentioned, Spirit and Crown, Spirit was 10th in 2002, and Crown was 16th. If you want feeder system in place, that's fine.