Bad Jonesing for Fan Network

Definitely was great while it lasted. Sort of took for granted after awhile - until it was gone.

Yep, I'm sure taking down all those old drum corps videos has tuned into a cash cow to the rights holders.

Oh, what's that? It hasn't?

I guesss that's the vacuum of progress for you.

• Like 1

Believe that changed last year or going into this coming season. The teams themselves were not filed under that.

Next year.

everyone #####ed about the fan network when it was around. Now that it's gone, people are sad.

Sounds like my fourth wife....

• Like 1

That it does. The Fan Network is what turned me on to DCI again. But the ball is really out of DCI's court: it's been stolen by rampant capitalism.

More like rampant lawyers. They're the one making all the money and laughing all the way to the bank. They could give a sh!t about that fans, performers or the composers. Did everyone see the story about the composer of "All About that Bass"? 177,000,000 plays of that tune on Spotify, he made $5600. Shameful. I'll bet the lawyers did OK. I'll bet they raked in a penny a play for "all the work" and pocketed a cool $1.7 million.

• Like 1

Definitely was great while it lasted. Sort of took for granted after awhile - until it was gone.

Yep, I'm sure taking down all those old drum corps videos has tuned into a cash cow to the rights holders.

Oh, what's that? It hasn't?

I guesss that's the vacuum of progress for you.

Exactly!

I am hoping they get all the copyright issues and the fannetwork, live streaming, and replay on demand of the last few years shows comes back soon. At least in the shows that DCI doesn't have to pay a fortune to secure licensing for.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the licensing issue came about because when DCI had negotiated rights in years past, that was before the internet and live streaming was a part of our daily life. DCI was paying media rights for physical copies of audio and video, but now streaming is not considered physical media, the copyright holders want part of that action now too. I agree every artist/composer should be paid a fair amount for the rights to their works. But I really feel there should be more a tiered system. Non profits, like DCI, high schools, and non professional theater groups should be charge a minimal fee. Professional organizations, like NFL, NBA, Pepsi and Coke(for professional commercial use) should be charged a greater amount. But even though I own the media to almost everything that DCI has produced over the years, it was so convenient to just be able to push a few keys on the computer and watch whatever show you wanted to.

See my previous post on how much the musicians get as opposed to the lawyers. I agree fully that non-profit youth organizations should have some sort of minimal flat fee to pay. It's not as if this is a big moneymaker for anyone but the lawyers anyway. If crabby composers still wish that nobody plays their stuff, then so be it (cough, cough, John Williams).

everyone #####ed about the fan network when it was around. Now that it's gone, people are sad.

I remember people complaining about the live streams but who complained about the archives? That was the best part! And after the live streams were completed, the content became archived fairly soon.

• Like 1

See my previous post on how much the musicians get as opposed to the lawyers. I agree fully that non-profit youth organizations should have some sort of minimal flat fee to pay. It's not as if this is a big moneymaker for anyone but the lawyers anyway. If crabby composers still wish that nobody plays their stuff, then so be it (cough, cough, John Williams).

In my opinion, I think DCI is way out of their league in negotiations. There need to be better negotiations, and the activity should unleash the hundreds of thousands of kids, parents, friends and whomever else, via social media, to shame these bloodsuckers into submission. I'm not a activist type, or one for shaming, but this is the time and place.

• Like 1