Rook-Out Drum Majors.

. One thing I would be prepared for is the reason why as a field commander you decided to take a year off marching. You may have a perfectly acceptable answer, but be prepared to be asked.

Yup.

With more and more corps holding open auditions, it is definitely reasonable. There have been a few in recent years. But like others have said, it doesn't hurt to contact corps and ask about the selection process.

Why have you decided for next season not to return as DM for the DCI Corps you were formerly the DM for ? I'm just curious, thats all. ( you don't have to reveal the name of that Corps to us, if you choose not to. )

I disagree. There will be corps that promote from within and would not consider a new member for field commander. There are certainly different philosophies about the field commander. Sone corps believe it is primarily a conducting position and therefore would probably consider the best conductor even if they are from outside the organization. Some corps believe it is primarily a leadership position and therefore will only promote from within. One thing I would be prepared for is the reason why as a field commander you decided to take a year off marching. You may have a perfectly acceptable answer, but be prepared to be asked.

I auditioned for 2 corps this season(2016) and was very close to receiving the position at my second audition but the other auditionee ended up receiving the position. Since this audition was late in the audition camp season and all corps had selected their DM's by then, I had no choice but to take the season off. I looked for field conductor spots but was unsuccessful.