I've seen many drum corps shows. For the most part, I've always had difficulty grasping all the conceptual stuff in a storytelling show. Some are easier than others for sure. But for some, I wish had had the designer's cliff notes to better appreciate what they're trying to convey out there.

• Like 1

all fads fade

story-heavy is in right now, but it won't be forever

one positive of this fad is that it tends to keep corps focused on quality music sources ,and away from original compositions, which tend to suck big time for me.

Does it though? If your main goal is to tell a story, an original composition (that no one would listen to outside of drum corps) will do in a pinch. You've got your show.

As others have said, one big problem is that, unless you resort to narration, which even in movies (where voice is a much more essential part of the art form) almost always feels like a cheat, it's very hard to tell a story, and it's made even more difficult by the short time frame.

• Like 1

I'm kind of frustrated with the current state of the activity. My frustration isn't about narration or trombones or electronics, it's about lack of brassline's playing for an extended period of time and a lack of good musical construction. It's appalling that some brasslines play for about 6 minutes of the show. There is no sustainable melody. Shows today are like a brass concerto with the drumline acting as the orchestra. It's boring, quite frankly. A few seconds of horns playing, followed by a lengthy drum solo, followed by few seconds of horn playing...rinse and repeat. When I say a few seconds, I mean 20-40 seconds. There's just no development on the musical side. I'm honestly at my wits end with this activity.

All that being said, I think the whole theme thing and storytelling is so stupid and annoying (for the most part...I love SCV's theme this year). Why can't a corps just play Beethoven's 9th Symphony to play Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 4

Why eliminate a style or type of show just because we are unhappy with the results of a few? Why take away possibilities from the creative field?

For all the grief the Cadets are taking over theme, there is still plenty of excellent music and marching in their show, and they are quite entertaining to many this year.

And when a corps does get a story right, like Phantom Regiment 2008, we are all brought to tears while cheering deliriously.

Also, I'd hardly call what Carolina Crown is doing a story. It's a western theme with images and soundscapes that help to invoke that theme. Within the theme is a short sketch, a simple set of scenes that also compliment the theme. Nothing more. I doubt I need to read a novel to learn of the "story" to this show. To me, Carolina is doing a Western Fantasy -- nothing more.

• Like 1

I'm kind of frustrated with the current state of the activity. My frustration isn't about narration or trombones or electronics, it's about lack of brassline's playing for an extended period of time and a lack of good musical construction. It's appalling that some brasslines play for about 6 minutes of the show. There is no sustainable melody. Shows today are like a brass concerto with the drumline acting as the orchestra. It's boring, quite frankly. A few seconds of horns playing, followed by a lengthy drum solo, followed by few seconds of horn playing...rinse and repeat. When I say a few seconds, I mean 20-40 seconds. There's just no development on the musical side. I'm honestly at my wits end with this activity.

All that being said, I think the whole theme thing and storytelling is so stupid and annoying (for the most part...I love SCV's theme this year). Why can't a corps just play Beethoven's 9th Symphony to play Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Good observations here, imo... the visuals today are terrific. I like what SCV is doing this year in particular as their show seems to flow so well and so seemlessly throughout for me. I also understand and empathize with your critique with the loss of extended brass line playing, extended song playing. Interestingly enough, both the Cadets, BD are 2 Corps that come to mind that DO appear.. at least to me anyway... as playing song arrangements longer this season than in some previous years. BD is playing more melody, harmony, extended song arrangements, etc than in recent years in my assessment.. a few other Corps as well. I think its all a bit better in this regard than some recent years anyway.

• Like 1

Does it though? If your main goal is to tell a story, an original composition (that no one would listen to outside of drum corps) will do in a pinch. You've got your show.

i can't think of the last story-heavy show that didn't feature great pieces by legitimate composers

the saucedo-type stuff has generally lent itself to more abstract shows.

i'm not a fan of all of the narrative stuff that's been en vogue of late, so i was just trying to find a silver lining.

Storytelling per se is ok, but it's hard to do it well in a drum corps show, and a lot of staffs (perhaps prompted by judges?) seem to go too far and end up HAMMERING the concept into the audience relentlessly

Why eliminate a style or type of show just because we are unhappy with the results of a few? Why take away possibilities from the creative field?

For all the grief the Cadets are taking over theme, there is still plenty of excellent music and marching in their show, and they are quite entertaining to many this year.

And when a corps does get a story right, like Phantom Regiment 2008, we are all brought to tears while cheering deliriously.

Also, I'd hardly call what Carolina Crown is doing a story. It's a western theme with images and soundscapes that help to invoke that theme. Within the theme is a short sketch, a simple set of scenes that also compliment the theme. Nothing more. I doubt I need to read a novel to learn of the "story" to this show. To me, Carolina is doing a Western Fantasy -- nothing more.

I certainly don't want to "eliminate" any styles, but I would question whether the designers are as "creative" as all that.

Also, Crown has two themes, only one of which is "Western Fantasy". (I'm not sure "fantasy" enters in at all.) Their title is "Relentless" and their recurrent musical selection is "Medea", neither of which have anything inherently to do with the Old West--but they do connect with the story that's presented to us (which in my opinion needs further clarity).

Edited to fix my stupid typo.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Cohesive storytelling is rarely accomplished by a 13 minute drum corps show. In my opinion, storytelling actually takes away some of the sophistication of this activity.

Spartacus though...

• Like 1