Minneapolis Musings

I don't think the problem, for me, with Regiment is that musically it's a show that would fit in 2010. I just don't think it's very compelling musically. I can love a weird show like BK's and an entertaining show like Madison's the same. I love love love love BK's music this year. I think it's very compelling, well constructed, and just very cool and effective. Phantom's, I just think is dull. Regiment's hornline though is great.

That's fair. A lot of people thought BD 08 was dreadfully boring, but I couldn't get enough of it. Hell, people think BD is boring every year. That's a matter of opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. That's the nature of the game when you're involved in an activity that is literally being scored based on judgement.

That said, I don't think Phantom is being judged based on that. I obviously have no idea what's going on in the minds of the judges, but I think a lot of this is about landscape. Phantom is clearly not scoring as highly as they'd want this year. Opinions on a show's entertainment factor can vary wildly, but at the end of the day, it's a show that just seems out of the loop.

Edited by FuriousSoundbyte
  • Like 1

no, not like that at all. You had said Troop is really rough visually. I'm just asking: where? Examples?

On the multi-cam, you can see lots of technique inconsistencies and breakdowns, and the drill isn't clean up top. The judges probably are stationed in front of areas where they saw those problems, hence the score.

That help?

How are you rewinding? It won't let us go back on the ipad.

Since I don't have an iPad, I'm not certain if it works the same as my laptop, but the fast forward and rewind buttons you usually use do not work those functions. The sliding bar between where it says Go Live, on the left, and where it shows the time, on the right, is what you use to rewind the playback. I just click my mouse on the gray bar between those two points and it starts playing at that point in the broadcast.

Again, I'm not sure it that will work with an iPad, but give it a try.

There's really no reason junior corps shouldn't be playing on the horns the USMDBC are. It's just a better sound. Sigh.

very much a matter of opinion.

i preferred G, too, but there were very few corps year to year that could get a good (for me) sound out of them.

still, it was enough, and i wish more corps had stayed on G.

the number of corps that get a good ensemble brass sound out of Bb is double now (again, for me) year in and year out. so ups and downs to both for me, i guess.

Great night of drum corps, wish BD would've performed but oh well. General thoughts- Very good performance levels by so many. Harder and harder to score well because you see corps stepping up so much year to year. I loved SCV, thought it wasn't their best run though. Cavies to me are the cleanest performance of the night. I don't think they'll drop but as SCV gets more and more clean they'll distance from Cavies. Phantom has the sound of the great corps we've come to love, but the show is not up to their performance level. Still much improved over last two years. BStars were 2nd cleanest show tonight imo. I'm not nearly as impressed with their vis construction as the music but it's a good vehicle. Very large step for them. BK has the obvious dirt to work through and more layering. Tonight though was a very good night for the Dots, they performed well and started to rise up. I suspect we'll see 7-10 fighting for a good while! Madison was flat to me tonight. Maybe because I loved Academy, Troop and even BStars so much. It felt like more of a traditional drum corps show than the last few times I saw it. Don't know, maybe just an off night, but I really loved Academy tonight and thought the GE score was about right. Academy deserves that score! Best surprise/mist improved drum corps!!! So refreshing. Troop- some transitional issues, but all components are there. I feel like their show has more challenge and risk than Academy but they're just not performing at a great visual level. Colts- almost forgotten about- best Colts I've seen since maybe ever. Very strong. Good show, great music and yet will likely be 15th at best. Ditto with OC. A few years back OC MUGHT HAVE A SHOT AT FINALS- not this year but still such a great step up. Mandarins, PC, Pio all had good offerings and great quality. If you missed Genesis, make a point it see them- they very well might win Open Class- incredible.

• Like 2

There's really no reason junior corps shouldn't be playing on the horns the USMDBC are. It's just a better sound. Sigh.

Other than the inability to sell them to a high school marching band at the end of the season. Economics plays a big role.

• Like 1