Warrensburg Wateringhole

Nothing to understand. No story. It's a celebration of 60 years. That's it. Just fun music, drill, color, and majestic Phantom-style performance. They're not trying to be Cadets, Cavaliers, BD, Bloo, Madison, or anyone else. Just Phantom. Personally I love it regardless of placement. Not every show I like has to be understood on some deep level nor does it have to be demanding or futuristic and innovative. Sometimes just marching and playing and looking proud is good for me. I had goosebumps when I saw them live.

I can promise you that come finals, and even before, Phantom will put people in a happy place when they see them, no matter where they place. They are entertaining and majestic. :)

Wait until people hear that hornline at finals :music:

• Like 2

I watched the 93 Regiment show the other day. I had forgotten they had THREE standing ovations. Come on, guys...

Same lead visual guy as this year

PR execution is noticeably improving, which is great. Seems like a much better corps than the past couple of years. The broad arc of design is their flaw, I think ... the show isn't paced all that well, easy to lose interest.

Also ... I know that piccolo trmpt is a bear to play, and it is being done better and better every time I hear it, but I just don't like how it is integrated as the top voice in the fugue. Doesn't sit 'in' the mix, rather it sits on top of the mix.

• Like 2

The ballad is actually a piece for concert band called "Sanctuary," which was written for Ticheli's colleague and friend H. Robert Reynolds. The main melody was then translated into "Earth Song," which eventually became its own piece for band.

"October" by Whitacre went through a similar transformation, originally being written for concert band, then transcribed for string orchestra, and resurfacing as a work for choir under the title "Alleluia."

Very cool, thanks for the background. I didn't know "Earth Song" was also a band piece.

I love Regiment's guard book this year. Love the guard uniforms. Very happy to see the Phantomettes performing so well. Visual is definitely a step up from last year. Musically though, I liked last year's show better. The placement of two ballads separated by a long drum break is still puzzling to me.

I like that the show is just about their history. It's refreshing to see a show that isn't trying to beat us over the head with a theme.

• Like 1

Nothing to understand. No story. It's a celebration of 60 years. That's it. Just fun music, drill, color, and majestic Phantom-style performance. They're not trying to be Cadets, Cavaliers, BD, Bloo, Madison, or anyone else. Just Phantom. Personally I love it regardless of placement. Not every show I like has to be understood on some deep level nor does it have to be demanding or futuristic and innovative. Sometimes just marching and playing and looking proud is good for me. I had goosebumps when I saw them live.

I can promise you that come finals, and even before, Phantom will put people in a happy place when they see them, no matter where they place. They are entertaining and majestic. :)

Agree with you on all of this except the last word. I wish it were there. But it's not in the score or design. Honestly that's all this show needs to move up. Majesty. That said the performers are clearly gonna take it as far as they can. MUCH better than the last run I saw.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Have a feeling Crown is going to light the place up! Much like Bluecoats did!

Agree with you on all of this except the last word. I wish it was there. But it's not in the score or design. Honestly that's all this show needs to move up. Majesty. That said the performers are clearly gonna take it as far as they can. MUCH better than the last run I saw.

Agree with you...100%