Warrensburg Wateringhole

I'm familiar with the practice, I just don't see how it applies here. It is an entirely different problem they are trying to solve.

The idea proposed, I believe, was instead of watermarking, DCI could sneak different fake information or mistakes onto each corps' recap sheet, so that if it were copied to a public forum, DCI would know which corps leaked it. So Cadets would have "Warensburg" and Phantom would have "Warrenssburg", or something like that.

Amused to read this on DCI's preview story for this show:

"As if the finish line weren’t crowded enough, keep an eye on the Cavaliers. The Green Machine has been within striking distance of both the Cadets and Vanguard at various points this summer. As one of the final corps scheduled to perform on Monday in Warrensburg, members of the Cavaliers should be in a prime position to put up a big score and finally push themselves over 80 points for the first time this summer. "

DCI apparently thinks performance order matters at ToC shows.

I'm not whining, nor am I denying the fact that the Blue Devils are talented. Just the majority didn't enjoy most of their recent shows in recent years. Honestly, there's only two shows I've ever really liked by BD. 98 and last year. I certainly don't like the K-Pop thing they've been doing, but they do it well. They're talented, just not very audience friendly here recently it seems.

I appreciate and respect your opinion. At least we agree on 98 BD. Might be BD's most underrated show. Smoking hornline that year too. Think they won brass??

I appreciate and respect your opinion. At least we agree on 98 BD. Might be BD's most underrated show. Smoking hornline that year too. Think they won brass??

Thank you. And yes, they indeed won brass that year.

• Like 1

"WHAT EVEN DOES GE MEAN?"

To paraphrase the Supreme Court, "We shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material we understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["GE"], and perhaps we could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But we know it when we see it.

• Like 1

They just announced the opening of the concession stands in the back of the stadium because of those lines. Let's see if that helps.

The idea proposed, I believe, was instead of watermarking, DCI could sneak different fake information or mistakes onto each corps' recap sheet, so that if it were copied to a public forum, DCI would know which corps leaked it. So Cadets would have "Warensburg" and Phantom would have "Warrenssburg", or something like that.

Ah, making each flaw unique to a different corps would make it make sense. I'm thinking, though, if there is only one different flaw per corps, three corps working together could identify the flaws.

It might be easier just to find the original microfilm, which I understand is kept in a hollowed out pumpkin on a farm somewhere in Indiana.

• Like 2

They announced it [more concession stands opening] right before SCV started up _after_ intermission, over 3 hrs after the problem was apparent. I missed the first part of Phantom because I had to get some water. Watched rest of show standing up in stairway but that was ok. Felt good to stand up.

Edited by jkingqm

Really enjoyed what I saw tonight. Our seats were on the 45 side one about 18 rows up. Thought everyone gave strong performances except for Cadets and Blue Stars who both really seemed to be having trouble at this point in the season performing the designs they have been given.

That said, my enjoyment of Crown was seriously diminished because one of their guard instructors was standing about seven or eight feet to our left recording his critique of the performances on his phone. Very loudly. He was loud during the soft parts and practically screaming during the big hits. I know this is common practice in DCI for the staff to make tapes for the kids to listen to, but he had no awareness that he was surrounded by paying customers who only get to catch one or two shows during the summer. Extremely irritating.

That said, my enjoyment of Crown was seriously diminished because one of their guard instructors was standing about seven or eight feet to our left recording his critique of the performances on his phone. Very loudly.

I agree with you 100% that staff members need to stay OUT of the stands unless they sit and watch the show RESPECTING the paying fan, keeping their mouth SHUT during the performance.

They do NOT have the right to do that, even though in the past some corps staff (not Crown) have told me they did have a right to go into the crowd and assess the corps anyway they wanted after I complained about his rude inconsiderate behavior, which sometimes included clapping loudly and wildly after what he perceived as a "big moment" to get the crowd going for GE.

+++

I started to write "low class" but I didn't. I think I want to give the Crown staffer the benefit of the doubt and allow him to correct his own error, and at the very least give upper staff management the opportunity to address the behavior expected of a professional organization like Carolina Crown.

I would encourage you Tommy to contact them and/or DCI directly of your experience. I think I would put both organizations on notice.

Edited by wvu80