Dark Horse

No surge into medals from Cadets sorry to say. At best, it will be in fourth place.

Academy won't need to surge - I think they're a lock for the 12 spot going into Finals. Boston and Troopers will be watching, rather than marching, on Saturday night, as unfortunate as that is.

Crown could brush past BC into the 2nd slot. BD isn't likely to lose on Finals night. I don't see SCV or Cadets being in medal contention this year (though I could see Cavaliers overtaking either SCV or Cadets in the final week into the 5th position).

Blue Knights might be 7th, over PR. With that drum line they could have been contending for a top 6 spot if they'd prepared better early season. Oh well.

Past that, I think the tiers are set for the year. Top 3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-14, and noticeable space between the tiers.

As far as I'm concerned there are dark horses at several tiers.

Crown, Bluecoats, or Blue Devils can win it. Blue Devils are expected, so the other two would be dark horses.

Cavaliers, Cadets, or SCV is the next tier. Cavaliers could actually end up 4th - 7th. If they would end up 4th, then they would be a dark horse. If they end up in 4th or 5th this year, they'll be firmly back into the top 6 consistently again and over 93 at finals.

Blue Stars, Blue Knights, and Phantom are in another tier. Blue Knights could possibly move up to 6th by the end of it. So if Madison sneaks into 7th they'd be a darkhorse.

Then there's Crossmen.

Academy is the obvious dark horse to make finals in 12th depending on how Boston does. Honestly, I like Boston's music, so I'd feel bad for them, but I would love to see Academy finally break into finals.

• Like 1

Academy won't need to surge - I think they're a lock for the 12 spot going into Finals. Boston and Troopers will be watching, rather than marching, on Saturday night, as unfortunate as that is.

Crown could brush past BC into the 2nd slot. BD isn't likely to lose on Finals night. I don't see SCV or Cadets being in medal contention this year (though I could see Cavaliers overtaking either SCV or Cadets in the final week into the 5th position).

Blue Knights might be 7th, over PR. With that drum line they could have been contending for a top 6 spot if they'd prepared better early season. Oh well.

Past that, I think the tiers are set for the year. Top 3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-14, and noticeable space between the tiers.

I just don't think Academy has the demand or content to place top 12. Their show is quite a bit easier than those above them (and BAC).

I think it will be: 1-4, 5-6, 7-10, 11 & 12.

I just don't think Academy has the demand or content to place top 12. Their show is quite a bit easier than those above them (and BAC).

I think it will be: 1-4, 5-6, 7-10, 11 & 12.

Whew that's a tough one... I agree propably more substance in Boston vis wise but musically? Not so sure. Troop has most meat and taters but it's too much I think. Academy could wind up in 12 just from being the cleanest in their tier

Whew that's a tough one... I agree propably more substance in Boston vis wise but musically? Not so sure. Troop has most meat and taters but it's too much I think. Academy could wind up in 12 just from being the cleanest in their tier

Absolutely, but I think BAC (based on spreads with Madison) is likely ahead of Academy at this point. I do like Academy (and Troopers) show much better than BAC's though.

When I think of a "dark horse" I always think of a surprise. There are quite a few people saying Academy is a likely dark horse. Well I'm not sure I would consider Academy making finals as a dark horse. Academy has been predicted as a top 12 finalist since the spring. When they began competing, again many predicted a top 12 finish. The difference is that before the season started, Crossmen were predicted to fall, since that time, Boston Crusaders have been the corps predicted to fall. With no disrespect to Academy and their progress this year, they are not a dark horse, they are finishing as predicted. So Crossmen who are not in apparent danger of falling from finals, and unless their show plateaus will probably finish as high as 10th place, are showing themselves to be the dark horse. Now as a BAC fan, I should feel compelled to say BAC will be the dark horse since they are off to a slower start, but I still think we need to see BAC and Academy face each other. Most of us who are predicting BAC will not fall from finals have not seen Academy live since most of the season they have competed on the opposite side of the country of Academy. Likewise, most of those who have seen Academy live have yet to see BAC up close and personal. Whichever finds themselves in 13th in San Antonio will be fighting with a vengeance in Atlanta. If that corps ends up making finals Indy, that will be the dark horse.

I would also say Cavies are proving themselves to be a dark horse for me. In all likelihood they may only move up one place this year, but they are stronger this year.

Some have mentioned Crown. Where Bluecoats, Blue Devils, and Crown have been so close, if they continue to have such a close margin, it will not be a come from behind dark horse finish for whichever corps wins.

Edit: I just saw Broken Arrow scores. I don't think we'll see Crossmen plateau.

Edited by Tim K

I think The Academy has their first chance at finals. I am a crown fan big time. Bd is going to be hard to beat this year I believe. Bloos gig in the sky is one of the best things I have ever seen or heard. Can Crown or Bloo beat Bd I highly doubt it. But we shall see. I think Crowns ending sounding like Star 93 more so. Could take them to the top. I'm sure Matt will take them there but is it enough? I know it has to be Crown owned and different than 93 Star but does it really? Matt was there he will know what to do. Great year for Drum Corps! This coming from a old Kingsmen lol.