San Antonio Showdown

I am only commenting here for the pure happiness I have for the Bluecoats winning their first regional. If this is the best it gets for them this season so be it. I'm just glad that this show was a legitimate validation of the work they are putting in NOW. Being a fan of them and following them (and the rest of the drum corps tgat I respect) since 2008 it makes me so proud that some respect is finally coming to Ohio in the small drum corps community we know and love. I can't even imagine the joy coming from the current members and the alumni. I can only express my happiness for them. Lastly, to those saying the Bluecoats will peak, there are changes (that I have personally heard) that may be added to the opener that will remind you of a recent successful year for the Bluecoats that hopefully will be implemented. You'll know when hear/see it. :) Go Bloo!

• Like 4

A colleague from Germany came and watched the webcast with me and saw BD, Bloo, Crown, SCV, and Academy (in that order). She had never seen drum corps before in her life.

She didn't get BD at all, but could tell they were talented. She said Bloo had so much going on she couldn't follow any of it. She really got Crown, and even got chills from Hallelujah, though she thought the end of that piece was lacking.

After SCV, she turned to me and said, without prompting, "I liked them. They're different from the others. They're more... elegant. They have class. It really projects from them."

She really enjoyed Academy as well, especially Unchained Melody. She thought it was the easiest program of them all to understand, and it was her favorite.

Hopefully I can make a convert of her!

A colleague from Germany came and watched the webcast with me and saw BD, Bloo, Crown, SCV, and Academy (in that order). She had never seen drum corps before in her life.

She didn't get BD at all, but could tell they were talented. She said Bloo had so much going on she couldn't follow any of it. She really got Crown, and even got chills from Hallelujah, though she thought the end of that piece was lacking.

After SCV, she turned to me and said, without prompting, "I liked them. They're different from the others. They're more... elegant. They have class. It really projects from them."

She really enjoyed Academy as well, especially Unchained Melody. She thought it was the easiest program of them all to understand, and it was her favorite.

Hopefully I can make a convert of her!

Ummm.....The Academy "her favorite"......she doesn't need to be converted. she's "saved" with the blessings of "Drum Corpse Bride" lol.

I mean it makes sense for it to be apart of "New England"

In the past and in the future,

1) It was one the original 13 colonies i.e. NEW England

2) it is apart of the Northeastern megalopolis https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

It is tied inextricably to New England historically, geographically, and economically.

Having lived in New England and in New York, I can guarantee New England stops where New York starts.

• Like 2

Should be a great show! Didn't see a thread other than the "time slots" thread, so here you go.

----------

LINEUP & TIMES

All times central and subject to change. Draw based on Minneapolis/Alexandria finish.

11:30 a.m. Kick Start Your Season with DCI

12:00 p.m. Gates Open

1:30 p.m. Welcome & National Anthem

1:40 p.m. SoundSport

2:00 p.m. Guardians - Houston, TX

SoundSport at 1:40 p.m. was Bayou City Blues from Houston. They're an "All-Age" restart of the former BCB's/Gulf Coast Sound.

That's two Houston Corps back to back.

Houston is too large a City in population with too many great "Corps Style" high school bands to not have a bigger presence in the Drum Corps World....................

Edited by LSU GRAD 82

Seriously. I'm not a BD homer by any means - but I think they probably have the best show, on paper. Whether or not they realize the potential of their show, I don't know, but they always seem to max their show out.

Bluecoats just don't have a difficult visual program. I love the concept - I really do - but when choosing such a program that requires the judges to be more open minded, the judges combined are naturally going to have more so a different take on where they would like to see this show go than they would a more traditional program. In other words, the opinions of the judges on what the corps needs to do to bring this show more to life are going to vary wildly from one to another more than they would vary to, say, SCV's show.

This will probably end up with some judges ultimately being left wanting more, while the other programs (although safer) are going to leave the judges feeling general more fulfilled. And when the judges are more fulfilled, they give them a better score.

I think we will see this start coming into play in Atlanta next weekend, when shows are getting cleaner, and the more demanding shows will start being rewarded a little more than they were tonight, and continues through Finals. This is what happens every season, nothing new.

The only reason where I won't absolutely count the BC out of a title is because both Crown and the Devs have shows that are a tad bit stale for a championship, compared with years past.

I think Blue Devs will end up winning via a more difficult program that is performed to the max. This is pretty much how they always win, when they do win it.

Nobody wins a title solely on the merit of being "new" or "refreshing" or "different" or even "awesome" or "cool" (by fan standards).

Nobody, just like last season, is going to garner 98+ pts this season. That's the disappointment I have.

I feel the Bluecoats have a lot more they could add to this program, and by the end of the season their show will start to wear thin. It's too bad, because I really do love their program.

They will have to win all of brass, percussion AND GE to win it all, and I don't see that happening.

And some variation of this has been posted here for...let me see now, how long has it been since the World Premiere preview?

Phantom is the only corps to get me teary eyed this year.Just sayin'

Gimme a Break! Getting teary eyed at a current DCI show: :thumbdown::sad::grrr::wall:

Well, I want to cry too, but not for any of the same reasons that most of you current time line "Marching Musical Theater" lovers do........................

please read books.

also, tell people in virginia, nc, sc, and georgia they're part of new england because they were original American colonies. they'll learn ya.

Thanks for being such a nice person. I'm sure your Mother loved raising you.

It's not technically in "New England," but it might as well be. Heck, NY and NJ were officially apart of New England for a few years.