San Antonio Showdown

Perhaps absurd...

I think I agree with you Lance that on the surface it appears "absurd" to have to have 4 judges for a single caption.

defintiely absurd. rubrics split subjectivity up into specific categories. they do nothing to eliminate it. it's true no matter how many judges there are for each category.

the stuff you wrote about judges not knowing what each other are scoring is more absurd than the dci scoring for sure, though.

Have you heard Dan Farrell give a synopsis of the show? He explains it well. It may be on their web site as well.

Would you mind sending me this synopsis? :smile:

Hmmmm. #TheWife just reported in from the Alamo. She says there's filming going on there and suspects it's part of the Drum Corps documentary.

• Like 1

Gimme a Break! Getting teary eyed at a current DCI show: :thumbdown::sad::grrr::wall:

Well, I want to cry too, but not for any of the same reasons that most of you current time line "Marching Musical Theater" lovers do........................

Do you want a snickers?

• Like 1

i haven't enjoyed a top 12 this much since 2007. Bravo to all corps. Really excited to be bringing 3 of my family with me to quarters at the theater. 1 of them loves DCI already, but the other 2 have still never seen it live. So this will be the closest for them. Should be a good night.

• Like 1

People seem to fall into one of 3 categories...

1. DCI is dying

2. DCI is fine

3. DCI is growing

It is apparent what category you are in and what category I am in. I've spent the past 22 years either on tour or attending many shows. Its harder to get a ticket to a major show today than it was 5-10 years ago. All I know is I wanted to get 2 tickets to finals in July last year and the only seats were in the end zone. DCI will never have as many folks attending finals as Montreal...Olympic Stadium simply has more seating capacity than Lucas Oil Stadium.

Z

No... its not speculation here. it is a fact that DCI had far more attendence in the 70's, 80's than today. One reason is that DCI had more shows to arrive at a higher total of attendance. We can verify this by going onto " fromthepressbox" and counting the numbers of shows. Thats easy enough for anyone to do that can simply count. We also know that Finals had more attendance in early years too. We have DCI's own attendance figures from Montreal in 1980 ( that I was in attendance at ). DCI flashed the numbers of Finals attendance on the Stadium screen, and we have pics of that attendance figure from DCI for photographic confirmation too ( this photographic verification from DCI itself been posted here on DCP over the years a number of times previously too). DCI had far more off site " attendence " in the earlier years too. PBS estimated that 315,000 watched the Finals live during the broadcast of Finals. DCI lost TV exposure. So the numbers who watch DCI Finals off site is much , much smaller than the numbers that watch it on paid subscription now. This is not speculation, its simplly common sense to know that more people watched DCI finals when DCI had it on TV, than these days now via paid per view subscribers. DCI can not say that it is having " record attendence ". It CAN however say that its attendence today is better than " the most recent past ". They are on much better solid footing when they claim THAT, as this much smaller window of time that they are claiming this, is probably unassailably accurate.

Edited by BRASSO

The notion that DCI Finals will never have the Finals attendance that 1980 Montreal had, because this Montreal stadium has "more seats" is sort of funny, when we think about it. I mean... really ? in other words, if only DCI had more seats in Lucas, it would surpass the Montreal Finals attendance ?. I mean, it does bring a chuckle to hear this stuff put forth.

Edited by BRASSO

. DCI will never have as many folks attending finals as Montreal...Olympic Stadium simply has more seating capacity than Lucas Oil Stadium.

Facts can be such messy things too :

Olympic Stadium, Montreal Capacity..... 56,040

Lucas Oil Stadium, Indy Capacity............62,000

Edited by BRASSO

Sorry -- Ft Mill, SOUTH Carolina is the South. But, I'm sure you knew that. LOL!

Edit: But if you want to have Bones and Crown from the south, OK by me.

Wait. Does that mean North Carolina is in the North? My head just exploded

They even put him on the end and he's still holding everybody up! :D

When the DMs were dismissed, he bolted out of there pretty fast.