DCI Southeastern (Atlanta) Championships Schedule - 7/30/16

Any thoughts on where Southeastern will be in 2017?

I would hope the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, but because it's going to be operated by the Atlanta Falcons themselves, it doesn't look likely. If they can keep it in Georgia, Georgia Tech or the University of Georgia have nice stadia, but there's not a ton of parking for either fans or the corps on those campuses. If those don't work, they could always move it to Florida.

• Like 1

hmmmmm....concourse noise concerns me - I'm in section 222 - has anyone experienced excessive noise from that section?

The mid sections (200's) are really blocked off from the concourse the way the seating is designed. You will not hear as much noise.

The big problem with the (100's) is that its wide open space into that concourse.

If the regional wants to come to Florida I am all for it but its going to have to be an indoor space...summer = rain, storms, etc.

Edited by StarOrg

They've been "Rebuilding" for a long time.

There's a big difference in being "Negative" and "Telling it like it is Reality."

I'm not a "Sunshine Pumper" that has my head buried in the Sand...........

Yeah but what are you accomplishing? In Reality, that is.

15 minutes away from me so BRING IT!

lol

We've got one very nice, albeit a lot smaller than the Georgia Dome, stadium.

:)

And that Southern hospitality. And Whataburger, which is the most important.

Whataburger? Really??? I'm down for that!

There's a big difference in being "Negative" and "Telling it like it is Reality."

I'm not a "Sunshine Pumper" that has my head buried in the Sand...........

So here is a dose of "Reality" for a DC. It costs a lot of money to be competitive at the level these corps compete, travel and perform at. Financial stability more than ever for today's drum corps is probably the single most critical component of a corps success. It takes a long time to build a sustaining organization. This is evidenced by the number of corps recently folding that were competitive. First one that comes to mind is Glassmen. There were several others too, some even packing it in while on the road.

To achieve true financial stability, the holy grail of elite competitive drum corps; you must invest in time, have a large committed organization with the singleness of purpose to build each element needed to achieve the success an organization wants. It will take time and there are many ups and downs. One thing that in the past few years that adds to the difficulty of building a competitive corps, is the fact that more corps now, more than ever, are incredibly competitive and all are searching for the same level of talent from MM's, instructional staff, designers, management, volunteer staff. It is all necessary and to build a sustainable competitive organization, it takes time. It takes a positive outlook & patience. Which unfortunately seems to be in short supply on DCP at times.

• Like 2

This is evidenced by the number of corps recently folding that were competitive. First one that comes to mind is Glassmen. There were several others too, some even packing it in while on the road.

Teal Sound comes to mind.

• Like 1

I would hope the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, but because it's going to be operated by the Atlanta Falcons themselves, it doesn't look likely. If they can keep it in Georgia, Georgia Tech or the University of Georgia have nice stadia, but there's not a ton of parking for either fans or the corps on those campuses. If those don't work, they could always move it to Florida.

Word is that the new stadium is smaller than the current Georgia Dome. Not sure how Georgia Tech compares for front side seating.

With the strength of the recent swing thru Florida, perhaps Jacksonville might be an option.

Teal Sound comes to mind.

Nightmare...

I'm not a "Sunshine Pumper" that has my head buried in the Sand.

You seem to always have an opinion on what Spirit is doing wrong, LSU GRAD 82.

What have you ever done to HELP the corps, since you seem so interested in their well-being?

Well, now's your chance, and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

The corps is in the waning days of its "40-40-40" annual fundraising campaign, a 40th anniversary campaign that has so far raised 90 percent of the $40,000 goal by asking supporters to make a $40 donation.

I made my contribution when the campaign first started. Have you contributed?

If not, why don't you take your head out of the sand, go to www.spiritdrumcorps.org/invest, and help them reach that goal?

Thanking you in advance for your contribution, LSU GRAD 82.

• Like 2

The DCI Southwestern Championship returns to the Alamodome on Saturday, July 23, 2016

. Tickets are on sale now via www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster outlets, the Alamodome Southwest Box Office (M-F, 10AM-5PM) and Ticketmaster over the phone at 1-800-745-3000. Alamodome parking is $15 on event day.

PLEASE NOTE: Due to renovations, the Alamodome main entrance will be located at the South Plaza Doors on the parking lot A side of the facility.