percussion judges in drill

and if a drum guy is on GE he spends most his time talking about percussion.

not the good ones

:cool:

again -- i never said box only and all you drummers trying to represent that as my position are just grasping at dropped sticks.

where else do you have? We've destroyed your sideline argument with facts and logic, not to mention physics and common sense. You going to block seats away from paying customers?

where else do you have? We've destroyed your sideline argument with facts and logic, not to mention physics and common sense. You going to block seats away from paying customers?

no you havent. you just keep straw man'ing the sideline.

you can be on the field and NOT be in drill. other judges manage it just fine.

it's actually kind of embarrassing -- i think this is 7th or 8th reply in which i clarified that "not in the drill" does not mean only the sideline.

honestly, MA should be upstairs brass. if a brass guy is on the sheet, drums mostly get ignored.

That's not true at all. DCI judges in MA do a *great* job of addressing the full music ensemble. Whether or not they are a "brass guy" or "drum guy" is irrelevant. Their commentary is always fair and properly applied, and rarely if ever slants in one direction or another.

nope. it's simple risk vs reward. there's no benefit to a note that can't be heard from the edge/front. there IS benefit to keeping an idiot from running around in the middle of drill he doesn't know well enough to be safe.

there's nothing special about percussion vs. brass. and the brass guys manage to sample safely.

If a drum line plays a Shirley Murphy in the woods and you can't hear it....did it really happen:)

• Like 1

I have a question for all the percussion experts on this thread. If you're a field percussion judge and you're not on the field in position to hear a critical element of the show and the MA judge or ensemble percussion judge can't hear it because the show is in a dome and no human being even with the best ears in the world can hear certain passages that the battery plays in a dome and the percussion gets no credit for it...then having a field percussion judge made no difference right? The point being...percussion staging and scoring is critical. One guy on the field calling tics or crediting demand is irrelevant compared to the GE music judge, the MA judge and the percussion ensemble judge hearing and crediting the content and execution of your book.

Edited by auldschool

well -- the change is coming. you can hear it rolling down the tracks (even on the front side line).

Maybe when the voting changes to something more plausible than "failed in a caucus straw poll of 2 to 24 and as a result did not advance to the voting membership" then I will start to hear it too. But that was the overwhelming response just 6 months ago.

Edited by mingusmonk