Photography from the stands

Wow. Thanks for the great replies. Some good feedback. Sounds like Atlanta will be the strictest venue in terms of what will be allowed. A shame, as I've got close up seats on the 50 there.

I think my current plan is to bring the Canon EOS 80D, the old --but trusty -- Rebel XTi. I should probably use this as an excuse to get the battery grip for the 80D, but I'm already spending a lot on this trip.

For lenses, I think I'll go with the Canon 70-200 2.8, and the 10-18 4.5-5.6. (A bit worried about this one. Not sure 5.6 is fast enough indoors to get good shots, at least with my skills. :) ), and the 18-55 kit lens or the 50mm 2.8 prime. Leaning towards the latter.

I've got a gorilla pod I might try to get in, in case I'm in a row with a railing in front of it. And a monopod, which sounds like more of a challenge. Thanks for the tips on not interfering with others. I'll try to stay un-annoying!

I also have a Zoom H4n and shoe mount to mount it, but it sounds like audio is frowned upon much more than still photos, so I think I'll reserve that for the lot.

No prohibition on photography - just video. Take as many pictures as you like with whatever equipment you want to bring. I've brought a Canon 7D with a big 70-200 mm zoom lens into Lucas Oil and other DCI venues without any problem. I've seen plenty of others with nice DSLR cameras as well. Just be considerate of those around you. White balance can be a problem in outdoor venues, particularly as the sun sets. You might try manual adjustment with the Kelvin scale and experiment. Also, you might consider shooting RAW to correct any white balance issues in post. Need a fast shutter speed (<1/500) to stop motion, so you may need a pretty high ISO for anything under the lights.

Take video. Just pretend like you're taking stills. Also, don't sit on the aisle near where the Video Hawks roam. Heaven forbid we take videos of our kids and use the video for our own enjoyment. That would be a travesty. Say 10 Hail Marys and an Our Father.

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks for the great replies. Some good feedback. Sounds like Atlanta will be the strictest venue in terms of what will be allowed. A shame, as I've got close up seats on the 50 there.

I think my current plan is to bring the Canon EOS 80D, the old --but trusty -- Rebel XTi. I should probably use this as an excuse to get the battery grip for the 80D, but I'm already spending a lot on this trip.

For lenses, I think I'll go with the Canon 70-200 2.8, and the 10-18 4.5-5.6. (A bit worried about this one. Not sure 5.6 is fast enough indoors to get good shots, at least with my skills. :) ), and the 18-55 kit lens or the 50mm 2.8 prime. Leaning towards the latter.

I've got a gorilla pod I might try to get in, in case I'm in a row with a railing in front of it. And a monopod, which sounds like more of a challenge. Thanks for the tips on not interfering with others. I'll try to stay un-annoying!

I also have a Zoom H4n and shoe mount to mount it, but it sounds like audio is frowned upon much more than still photos, so I think I'll reserve that for the lot.

H4 good unit! But, yeah, frowned upon...if you're shooting stills you can just leave it on top of your bag and pretend it's not in use, I'll cop to doing that once in awhile

You want as much shutter as you can get, so stay away from the slow stuff and stick with your 70-200 inside, maybe set up the Rebel for the outside with a 50mm or even a bit wider. Tripods, even a mono for me, are a pain (but I use pretty extreme equipment...not a snob, just have the guns to go without much of the time)...you want to push your ISO as much as you can (depending on venue, you should be able to shoot a 500th at 3200iso and get some good shots with that lens. Problem is being able to get in tight, if you can position yourself at the bottom railing you'll be in range (I'm not Canon, but your 80D is a crop sensor, I think, which pushes you out, I.6 times the focal length of your lens, so you're getting 320mm equivalent...not bad). Shoot RAW so you can do your WB in post (although I shoot jpeg 'cuz of thousands of images and still have enough to tweak...also in post you can zoom by cropping which is something I do regularly, purists say no, I say YES to that technique) H4 good unit! But, yeah, frowned upon...if you're shooting stills you can just leave it on top of your bag and pretend it's not in use, I'll cop to doing that once in awhile, lol. I know Chris quite well, we shoot together on occasion...get with me on FB and/or you can check my images out at DCP's Photo Archives, you'll find mine and Charlie Frey's work in there. Have a blast! Oh...heh...check your focus settings (google sports photography and you'll find a goldmine/black hole of info re. focus settings...you want FAST) and if your camera will allow it, go back button focus (google is your friend if you're not familiar with that technique)...

• Like 1

Take video. Just pretend like you're taking stills. Also, don't sit on the aisle near where the Video Hawks roam. Heaven forbid we take videos of our kids and use the video for our own enjoyment. That would be a travesty. Say 10 Hail Marys and an Our Father.

Tim K. wouldn't let them off this easy!

• Like 1

tripods/mono pods are not allowed at any major league stadium...football...baseball... basketball......you may get past security but you risk being ejected later in you are discovered. I would also be VERY considerate of the people around you. They are there to enjoy a show

So, ATL update:

I got turned around at the gate with the 70-200. Had to take it back to the car, but managed to get both bodies, and a couple other lenses in.

Hoping for better luck at NightBEAT and the rest of the shows I'm going to this week.

Thanks for the other tips. Hopefully I'll have something to show for it at the end of the day. We'll see. I'm 11 rows back on the 59, but the longest zoom I've got is the 18-55 kit lens.

So, ATL update:

I got turned around at the gate with the 70-200. Had to take it back to the car, but managed to get both bodies, and a couple other lenses in.

Hoping for better luck at NightBEAT and the rest of the shows I'm going to this week.

Thanks for the other tips. Hopefully I'll have something to show for it at the end of the day. We'll see. I'm 11 rows back on the 59, but the longest zoom I've got is the 18-55 kit lens.

Sorry to hear that. I noticed a guy sitting across the aisle from me, the lens on his camera had to be a good 8-10" long. I didn't see any credentials.

Well, I didn't get much I liked from ATL.

But I had no trouble getting the 70-200 lens into NightBEAT. Here are some of my shots from the first few corps. https://flickr.com/photos/35034346178@N01/sets/72157671859442625

More to come, but I'm off to watch Spirit's ensemble rehearsal.

Omg.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/acaben/28622353881/in/set-72157671859442625/