Bluecoats pit on using click track

But this is a COMPETITION. There's even Percussion Ensemble Judge. The corps need to put on their big-boy pants and perform. How do you fairly judge ensemble when some of the corps are using in-ear monitors?

Bluecoats have put on their big boy pants. It's why they are top 3, no?

I expect more and more corps to begin using the ear pieces. Simply put, field performance of this nature has many timing issues. If we are going to use a lot of field space with complex timing issues coming from everywhere, we can't just say things like "Put on your big boy pants." That means nothing and solves nothing. And frankly neither does listening and reacting to what you hear, because for pit members specifically (who listen back and rarely watch the DM) what they hear is often coming to them late. There are major delays on the field, and throw in sounds and movement coming from other voices and effect and the pit has a difficult job. Same with soloists staged all over the field. In-ear phones help them to lock to the material they are playing with. I believe it's one of the next things in DCI to help corps do even more on the field.

If this helps drum corps use the field more and work toward more complex timing issues in staging situations that once were not possible, then Bluecoats are paving the way for another leap in performance that ALL THE CORPS can take advantage of.

It doesn't make the musicians better. It's not a steroid. :silly: It's more like having good stage monitors with a rock band or big band; and last time I checked the best professional big bands use stage monitors and they are usually loaded with fabulous musicians. I hear they wear their big boy pants, too.

People need to get off their competitive rocking chair for a moment and just see this as a new method for helping already good musicians focus in on the timing issues that exist in field presentation. There will be discussion about it, I am sure (even with the judges and DCI admin), but ultimately all the corps will move in this direction. I see that as a good thing. But as of now I guess people will cry because it's a competition and they want their corps to win and somehow the Bluecoats are cheating. :wow:

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 6

Bluecoats have put on their big boy pants. It's why they are top 3, no? I love when people who know nothing about how technology can be used begin to cry foul.

I expect more and more corps to begin using the ear pieces. Simply put, field performance of this nature has many timing issues. If we are going to use a lot of field space with complex timing issues coming from everywhere, we can't just say things like "Put on your big boy pants." That means nothing and solves nothing. And frankly neither does listening and reacting to what you hear, because for pit members specifically (who listen back and rarely watch the DM) what they hear is often coming to them late. There are major delays on the field, and throw in sounds and movement coming from other voices and effect and the pit has a difficult job. Same with soloists staged all over the field. In-ear phones help them to lock to the material they are playing with. I believe it's one of the next things in DCI to help corps do even more on the field.

If this helps drum corps use the field more and work toward more complex timing issues in staging situations that once were not possible, then Bluecoats are paving the way for another leap in performance that ALL THE CORPS can take advantage of.

It doesn't make the musicians better. It's not a steroid. :silly: It's more like having good stage monitors with a rock band or big band; and last time I checked the best professional big bands use stage monitors and they are usually loaded with fabulous musicians. I hear they wear their big boy pants, too.

People need to get off their competitive rocking chair for a moment and just see this as a new method for helping already good musicians focus in on the timing issues that exist in field presentation. There will be discussion about it, I am sure (even with the judges and DCI admin), but ultimately all the corps will move in this direction. I see that as a good thing. But as of now I guess people will cry because it's a competition and they want their corps to win and somehow the Bluecoats are cheating. :wow:

Playing devils advocate here: how many corps can actually afford to do this?

• Like 1

Playing devils advocate here: how many corps can actually afford to do this?

Um, very good point. Actually, I would say all WC corps and most Open Class can afford it. The ear pieces are not that expensive, but each group would need to invest maybe $2500 in a receiver/mixer that sends and receives the signals. With ear pieces and a few other accessories, I will guess $5,000 or so would get a corps going with this technology. Sounds like a lot, but considering what corps pay for busing, food, staff, and more; and also considering what some put into props, I think this investment would be a good one.

Um, very good point. Actually, I would say all WC corps and most Open Class can afford it. The ear pieces are not that expensive, but each group would need to invest maybe $2500 in a receiver/mixer that sends and receives the signals. With ear pieces and a few other accessories, I will guess $5,000 or so would get a corps going with this technology. Sounds like a lot, but considering what corps pay for busing, food, staff, and more; and also considering what some put into props, I think this investment would be a good one.

One tuba!

• Like 1

Doesn't look outrageously expensive. Are the Coats putting the same feed out to all the monitors or does each monitor have it's own transmitter/feed ?

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1044--In_Ear_Systems

I couldn't tell ya. I call bingo for them and occasionally get some inside info, but I knew costs and details better when I was on the board. Just didn't have time for that anymore.

I will admit that the Bluecoats system, to me, looks way more expensive than what most should start with. But I think it's manageable for most corps to get into the game with these ear pieces.

Bluecoats have put on their big boy pants. It's why they are top 3, no?

Exactly right. Bluecoats have not been given an exemption to use their in ear monitors. Every corps (until a rules congress rules orherwise) can use them. If they help deliver a more enjoyable experience for the fans because the mms can actually hear the balance better, why is this a bad thing? I sincerely hope more corps take advantage of this technology. It can only propel corps to produce more polished products.

• Like 1

One of the coolest things that this allows the Bluecoats to do, that other corps need to take a hard look at, is how it aurally separates the individual members of the pit. Having the pit spread out over almost the entire length of the field allows the live audience (you completely miss this effect watching online) to hear exactly where each sound in the pit is coming from. Additionally, the way the Bluecoats have speakers all over the field also allows soloists to be heard from (relatively) close to where they are actually standing. It makes the amplification sound more natural. I remember during Cavaliers show having to search desperately for the concert euphonium (baritone?) because I could hear the mic'd sound, but couldn't find where the actual player was on the field. For me, this is the primary reason that Bluecoats have schooled everyone else with the way they use amplification. For pretty much every other corps, the pit is amplified through a couple of huge speakers on each side of the pit. And, it robs a lot of the directionality from the pit instruments.

As someone who still has a ways to go before completely embracing electronics in drum corps, I have to say that I very much appreciate what Bluecoats are doing. If you're going to do something, you need to do it well, and Bluecoats certainly are.

• Like 1

Yes the ENTIRE sound system used by the Coats does cost a few bucks...well, actually many bucks, BUT this aint the minor leagues here. The BIG advantage the Bluecoats have is NOT in the equipment they have (all could get it if they really wanted it), what most others don't have...the folks who can dream about how to use it and the folks to make it happen. (staff and performers)

ps Think of all the $ Coats saved on uniforms this year :silly:

• Like 1