Bluecoats pit on using click track

Does anyone know why the Bluecoats decided to spread the pit out? I heard some discussion at NightBeat as to some of the theories from several people in the audience.

I apologize if this has been brought up before/somewhere else ..... If it has, I would appreciate some assistance in finding that thread!

Does anyone know why the Bluecoats decided to spread the pit out? I heard some discussion at NightBeat as to some of the theories from several people in the audience.

I apologize if this has been brought up before/somewhere else ..... If it has, I would appreciate some assistance in finding that thread!

HA! I was wondering about the same thing.

• Like 1

I'm bewildered and disappointed by the fact that front ensembles (not just Bluecoates) are using in-ear monitors.

Please answer this question:

How does the PERCUSSION ENSEMBLE Judge reward/penalize performers using in-ear monitors used for the express purpose of tightening up the ensemble?

I can picture the judge tape "Good job listening to the rest of the line in your monitors!"

Discuss...

Listening in the monitor at a large spread is the same as listening without monitors in a tight group.

For both... the judge would say "good job listening". The compliment means the same with or without monitors, and the achievement requires the same skill set.

Whithout even talking about what they are really doing, since that has been revealed, let's step back here for a minute and consider what is being suggested. Could you imagine providing a click track to just one ensemble only and that ensemble is all the way at the front of the listening field. Imagine what would happen when the corps started to sway away from the click tempo. The pit would have to decide for the rest of the show whether to follow corps tempo or go with the click. :D

Or like the newest post about Roger Carter (percussion Caption Head) would suggest he might be providing adjusted tempos from the stands. Now imagine the pit reacting to changes in the clicks on the fly.

If it is being suggested or implied that he is setting up the tempos in advance of tempo changes, there really would be no need for this. One can pre-program the entire show on a click that changes based on the programming. It would not require manual intervention.

He is just checking tempos.

Good point, but I can understand why fans might wonder about this--and apparently so did the Bluecoats' staff, which is why they made a point of letting a judge listen in. Last year I saw high school bands use a metronome to start different movements of their shows even in competition.

Depending on how close the DM was, there may be a tap test in his immediate future. dun dun dUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Hmmmm...I am thinking that maybe the pit members can't stand each other, and this was the only option to have them all play,.

:fight::starwars:

...or not

Edited by MikeD