Bluecoats pit on using click track

Everyone that's negative to this sort of use of technology is either ignorant of or blind toward the advances in live performance that are and have been a reality for the last few decades. Personal speaker monitors have been a fact of shows the likes of Cirque du Soleil and Broadway since at least the 70's, and every single drum corps on the field today uses speaker monitors at LEAST for their electronic keyboard player; sometimes the keyboard player has an in-ear himself. This isn't cheating, this is integrating technology into an activity in a way that is in line with how it has been integrated with all sorts of high-end musical productions for ages. It's really the only way to execute the kind of spread and show that they have this year. It's not even particularly original, though you'd have to talk to people more knowledgeable than me to get specifics about how it's been used before.

But this is a COMPETITION. There's even Percussion Ensemble Judge. The corps need to put on their big-boy pants and perform. How do you fairly judge ensemble when some of the corps are using in-ear monitors?

Well. You listen and watch. And assign numbers. In ear listening still means you need to play and match time pitch and style.

But this is a COMPETITION. There's even Percussion Ensemble Judge. The corps need to put on their big-boy pants and perform. How do you fairly judge ensemble when some of the corps are using in-ear monitors?

You judge it by evaluating the performances being presented. Period.

• Like 3

In-ear monitors for everybody!

People with experience know that their setup introduces different kinds of challenges. And if you have seen plenty of rehearsal reps and performances, you have witnessed that the ensemble timing of this show, the opener especially, is a huge challenge ... even with the monitors.

I would expect some discussion on this during the winter meetings. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, btw. It is just a discussion whose time has come. . That's not a bad thing. It's simply evolution.

As singing drummer in a sort-of gigging band, I really really like my IEM's.

I would expect some discussion on this during the winter meetings. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, btw. It is just a discussion whose time has come. . That's not a bad thing. It's simply evolution.

As singing drummer in a sort-of gigging band, I really really like my IEM's.

Agreed, This should be a topic for the Competition Committee.

Technology such as miked instruments and electronically-generated sounds will need a rational method to be heard by the performers. The question is whether technology directly aids the cleanliness of the performance. In this case, it muddles the Percussion Ensemble Judge's assignment.

As an example, marimba players can hear their own instruments. Putting a mic on every instrument along with IEM ( In Ear Monitors) to aid in ensemble seems...crass. You don't see trumpet players play complex ensemble passages while spread to the corners of the field. Put the marimbas closer together is one option. The other option is to add demand and spread them out.

Perhaps the activity will evolve based on technology. In the example above, imagine how cool it would be to be in the stands when trumpet players play that complex passage while spread out. The 3D effect would be amazing. This could only be effectively achieved with IEM's.

Judge the product, not the process.

Judge the product, not the process.

that's fine and i agree.

otoh it does change the game a little. what appear to be difficult or impossible listening situations (that would earn credit from a judge) can't be credited. playing in time becomes a whole different ballgame.

so what now is an environmental challenge?

Edited by corpsband