Bluecoats pit on using click track

Listening in the monitor at a large spread is the same as listening without monitors in a tight group.

For both... the judge would say "good job listening". The compliment means the same with or without monitors, and the achievement requires the same skill set.

I disagree at least from the perspective of a guy on the line and not up front in the pit. I believe the pit "listens" just like the drum line does which is you listen down the line to the center. If we had a monitor to listen directly to the center, that would have made it so much easier to keep locked in with him. Instead of a more ensemble approach (everyone has to listen together to stay with the center) compared to a more individual approach (each person locks directly into the center).

I think it would be easier but I never tried listening like that so I can't say for sure. Either way, they are still good!

I disagree at least from the perspective of a guy on the line and not up front in the pit. I believe the pit "listens" just like the drum line does which is you listen down the line to the center. If we had a monitor to listen directly to the center, that would have made it so much easier to keep locked in with him. Instead of a more ensemble approach (everyone has to listen together to stay with the center) compared to a more individual approach (each person locks directly into the center).

I think it would be easier but I never tried listening like that so I can't say for sure. Either way, they are still good!

You can only listen to what you can hear. Timing responsibilities are 1 of 2 options (as you know, it may change at different times)... listen or watch. The pit spread leaves them only with one option (as watching is not available). Listening requires monitors. They are judged on their playing to what they hear... like any other pit. Listening to the center is no different.

Brian Blume does a great interview of Tom Rarick that touches on some subjects in this thread. Electronics, monitors, pit spread, etc for PAS's Rhythm Scene magazine.

http://www.pas.org/publications/latest-issues/RhythmScene.aspx

Click on Access the Rhythm! Scene Digital Edition

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 3

In-ear monitors are in no way "revolutionary" anymore. They've been used in WGI and even other DCI groups for years now. Also, you can still listen back to the ensemble with the in-ears in. They don't block out everything, so the idea of them "doing all of the listening work for them" doesn't hold water.

From Aaron Beck's write-up for alumni. http://bluecoats.com/alumni/blue-review/

I’ve read many post from others outside the corps that believes we have it easy or “cheat” with electronics but I believe it to be the exact opposite. It is much harder to balance the show with the electronics and the added cost, time and details to make it work are that much more challenging. We deal daily with issues the other groups don’t even think about. Extra time to unload and setup, 45 minutes to setup the system before each rehearsal, lost time for the kids during EPL dealing with more stuff, rain, broken cables, logistics of getting on and off the field, and I could go on for days. In the end we make it all work and seem “easy” because of the advance planning and great team we have working for the Bluecoats.
we have 300 hands (150 Members) to set up the field in the 3 minutes and 15 seconds and it takes all but 6 of those hands.