Ode to Oskaloosa

I wish it were only about the Performers and their performances. The kids pay when the politicians play

Watched Genesis on Periscope. Very strong musical performance.

Think I get the show without the voiceover a though, I mean, they literally spell it out for you at the end. Lol.

Early in the season they spelled out the entire show; more recently they've just spelled out the first word. Are they back to the full title again?

And 2.4 isn't an insurmountable gap. I suspect it'll close.

I thought they really got screwed out of 3rd last year. If the gaps get that big again I will definitely raise some eyebrows too.

I was at last year's O.C. Finals. While I thought Genesis would come in third, I also thought it was really close between third and fifth, and that both Spartans and Legends had a shot to move up to the bronze.

For those concerned about Genesis slipping a little in one day, notice that in ten days since SCVC's last score, they managed to improve by less than 2.5 pts. So the Oskaloosa judges probably feel they'd been overscored previously, too.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I was at last year's O.C. Finals. While I thought Genesis would come in third, I also thought it was really close between third and fifth, and that both Spartans and Legends had a shot to move up to the bronze.

Maybe screwed was a bit strong. Loved Legends too.

However, the near 6 point gap to BDB did seem pretty extreme.

For those concerned about Genesis slipping a little in one day, notice that in ten days since SCVC's last score, they managed to improve by less than 2.5 pts. So the Oskaloosa judges probably feel they'd been overscored previously, too.

And over the same period, Colt Cadets saw their score drop by more than two points.

I don't think it's just Genesis. I've been in the stands for a lot of shows this year. Some of these OC corps are really putting a quality product on the field, doing full length shows, full corps, National tours, and their scores look like they are getting suppressed through out the season. It just seems like there is significant downward pressure on OC scores, unless you happen to be BDB or SCVC. It was the same way last year. I know it's an art form and judging / scoring is artificial. But at some level scores and results really matter for these bigger OC corps. Their ability to draw talent, sponsors, get event fees, even to buy groceries is significantly impaired if they just stay in OC perpetually. The activity seems to have the mindset that beating BDB and/or SCVC Is necessary to justify making the jump, it just doesn't appear to be possible in the current day & age.

While I have no idea what criteria are used to decide to accept a corps' application to move to World Class, I think that it would be reasonable for one requirement to be that the applicant had scored above at least one of the (recently) perennial top two Open Class corps--and having seen Open Class Finals the past four years, I firmly believe that the judges were correct to only put Oregon Crusaders above BDB and SCVC in that period. However, this year's Genesis show has the best chance of any corps since 2012 to close that gap, in my opinion.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Thanks for the frank, open discussion. And thanks for all that you do to make this activity more open and accessible for the rest of us. Looking forward to the rest of the season.