Sizzlin' in HOTlanta (DCI Southeast, Atlanta - July 30th)

Troopers look just as dirty as they did a month ago.

Unfortunately I have to agree.

• Like 2

Troopers usually one of my favorites...this year....meh.

Interesting. For me, this is their best designed show since 1985.

That said, because of execution, I now feel that 2009 and 2013 have the edge over this one among their recent offerings.

Would love to see corps compete with a max decibel level on amplifiers I too cansound great on a mike with a beyonce filter.

If drum and bugle corps is 60% GE, that leaves 40% for drums, guard and bugle. So brass is 13%, drums is13%, and guard is13%.

Why bother playing at all?

• Like 1

It seems to me that the Diablos design team is alway trying to, if I may quote from their 2nd place show in 2008, Constantly Risking Absurdity.

The use of the K-pop music in 2015 and the use of a Bieber song in a 2016 program allegedly built around a Shakespeare theme are but recent examples.

What puzzles me, in light of the superb marching and playing talent possessed by BD's MMs, is why these gifts are ignored in favor of devoting precious minutes of their programs to base, trivial music.

How about another beautiful ballad instead?

Its BD's version of Jar Jar Binks syndrome

• Like 1

Would love to see corps compete with a max decibel level on amplifiers I too cansound great on a mike with a beyonce filter.

If drum and bugle corps is 60% GE, that leaves 40% for drums, guard and bugle. So brass is 13%, drums is13%, and guard is13%.

Why bother playing at all?

You are horrible at math and I'm not entirely sure you understand this activity very well. GE is only 40 points. 40%. Music is 30 points. 30%. Since there are 3 music captions, each would be (collectively for percussion) 10 full points. 10 points is the difference between 1st and not being in finals right now....

• Like 2

Sometimes holes happen! Like if a member gets really sick that morning and is barfing their stomach up...probably not going to march the show.

the year my son marched BAC, his visual partner (that supported him in a back bend in RISE) almost snapped her femur in half from a stress fracture. Had she marched, she'd be on the field. The night before finals, she had surgery in Indy. He did the bend without her and it made for an awesome picture IMO. Things happen.......Go Blooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Like 1

Its BD's version of Jar Jar Binks syndrome

The dancing is just a natural extension of the guard getting more power and importance in show design.

After attending the Nashville show, where we had I would assume 20,000 in attendance and two thirds of that high schoolers, I can see the strategy in having a modern music dance section. I don't like it, at all, but I see the strategy in it. BD's dance segment this year was a dud in Nashville, though I think the K-Pop segment worked last year. (For me it was the worst part of an historic show. I noticed it was cut from the season premiere movie, btw.)

Most of these dance segments come off as manipulative to me. But, I'm not a high schooler. It doesn't feel risky or artistic to me, it feels obvious and eye-rolling, like playing a tambourine in a church service to appeal to "the kids." But again, I'm not a high schooler or a marching member, so they may see it differently.

Bluecoats is making a statement about show design that suggest we not do dance segments, but shows that use dance as a key part of the show concept. Not all corps can do it, not all corps should do it, and thankfully not all corps will do it. But you can't argue with the impact, because the Bluecoats show reaction was like a rock concert.

• Like 3