Sizzlin' in HOTlanta (DCI Southeast, Atlanta - July 30th)

Funniest thing overheard (among many) from one of the thousands of young bandos exiting the long ramps of the Georgia Dome.

"I still don't understand why they are taking down a perfectly good stadium. My Dad sez it's because more construction jobs are needed. It seems such a waste."

Girlfriend answers: "Nah, it's because the drum major of Phantom Regiment is aging out. He's from Atlanta and this was his last show here. If he can't compete here, then the stadium comes down."

Boyfriend and friends answer: "Duh! And he's the conductor not the drum majorette."

• Like 1

Funniest thing overheard (among many) from one of the thousands of young bandos exiting the long ramps of the Georgia Dome.

"I still don't understand why they are taking down a perfectly good stadium. My Dad sez it's because more construction jobs are needed. It seems such a waste."

Girlfriend answers: "Nah, it's because the drum major of Phantom Regiment is aging out. He's from Atlanta and this was his last show here. If he can't compete here, then the stadium comes down."

Boyfriend and friends answer: "Duh! And he's the conductor not the drum majorette."

Regarding taking down the Georgia Dome, it may be an okay facility, but I'm not going to miss the crowded noisy corridors. Worst design I've ever seen in a major stadium. This DCI event draws less than 20K people yet you can barely move around the concourse to get to your seat, concessions, etc., and it took 30 minutes to get through security lines. Image what a sold out football game is like. And the pervasive noise of the crowd in the concourses during quiet drum corps passages is really irritating. Not to mention the overall rumble of the dome echo. Eh, I'm not going to miss this place... Hopefully the new dome is much better for crowds and acoustics, assuming DCI moves this event there. Suggested alternate site.....Georgia Tech Grant Field would be great, but I'm sure DCI won't risk moving a major regional to an outdoor venue.

Regarding taking down the Georgia Dome, it may be an okay facility, but I'm not going to miss the crowded noisy corridors. Worst design I've ever seen in a major stadium. This DCI event draws less than 20K people yet you can barely move around the concourse to get to your seat, concessions, etc., and it took 30 minutes to get through security lines. Image what a sold out football game is like. And the pervasive noise of the crowd in the concourses during quiet drum corps passages is really irritating. Not to mention the overall rumble of the dome echo. Eh, I'm not going to miss this place... Hopefully the new dome is much better for crowds and acoustics, assuming DCI moves this event there. Suggested alternate site.....Georgia Tech Grant Field would be great, but I'm sure DCI won't risk moving a major regional to an outdoor venue.

weren't 1984 DCI Championships at Grant Field where the Cadets won their second consecutive DCI (It was their golden jubilee year and they did WSS.)

One thing Georgia Dome did very well was the process of scanning bags, giving folks clear bags. and the process of helping those who had brought daysacks, pocketbooks, etc.

Outside the stadium and closer to the parking lots, tables and tents were ready so that lot attendants ushered the fans to these first where contents were inspected, clear bags given freely, and not allowed daysacks, backpacks, and oversized pocketbooks were given a valet ticket similar to luggage check-in at some hotels or coatrooms at the opera and other concerts. It seemed to move flawlessly and without hassle where I was. Both stadium staff and audience were calm and cooperative. Most were understanding.

At the doors of the stadium, bodies were simply scanned and tickets verified.

I hope Indy's process goes as smoothly, although that stadium doesn't have as much outside space for fans.

If DCI is willing to pay, I'm sure A. Blank will let them have the show there. It's going to take him 25 years to pay off all those construction loans... 35 if the Falcons continue to suck like they have.

I wonder if we'll have to pay for PSL's to get tickets to a DCI event... :poke:

weren't 1984 DCI Championships at Grant Field where the Cadets won their second consecutive DCI (It was their golden jubilee year and they did WSS.)

One thing Georgia Dome did very well was the process of scanning bags, giving folks clear bags. and the process of helping those who had brought daysacks, pocketbooks, etc.

Outside the stadium and closer to the parking lots, tables and tents were ready so that lot attendants ushered the fans to these first where contents were inspected, clear bags given freely, and not allowed daysacks, backpacks, and oversized pocketbooks were given a valet ticket similar to luggage check-in at some hotels or coatrooms at the opera and other concerts. It seemed to move flawlessly and without hassle where I was. Both stadium staff and audience were calm and cooperative. Most were understanding.

At the doors of the stadium, bodies were simply scanned and tickets verified.

I hope Indy's process goes as smoothly, although that stadium doesn't have as much outside space for fans.

Yes, I was there for the 1984 Finals at Grant Field. It was great then, would be even nicer now with stadium improvements since that event. But again, I doubt DCI would go with an outdoor stadium for a major regional.

Your comments about the GA Dome handling of scanning and bags is mostly accurate, they did a pretty good job. But still was painful if you came in at the wrong time. I got there about 5:15 and missed a few of the corps I wanted to see, including Spirit. But unfortunately these steps are necessary in today's world I reckon. Lesson learned, plan for extra time at future events.