Marching for corn in Cedar Rapids?

The whole point of an adjudication system and a judging rubric is that you CAN compare scores from one show to another.

It would be nice if that were true, but it's really not. "Rank then rate" is the motto.

So you're saying that I can't look at the scores from San Antonio, when Genesis had a 64.95, and then compare it to the next Saturday when they are scored at a 63.8 and go "something's messed up"?!? That's ridiculous.

And it's not just true of Genesis.

Here, for example, are some Pioneer scores from last year:

July 7 -- 57.400

July 12 -- 56.850

July 28 -- 66.900

Aug. 6 -- 66.175

It would be nice if that were true, but it's really not. "Rank then rate" is the motto.

A few big points to make here -

Yes, "Rank THEN Rate," not "Rank NOT Rate." Otherwise, why would articles like "The Value of A Tenth" have any value in the judging community? Additionally, again, the rubric system exists to put a number on a performance, irrespective of the competition. If we were talking about a BOA show, then I would agree with you that the numbers aren't quite comparable. An activity like DCI where corps are adjudicated over the course of a summer in a high volume of events allows for the numbers AND rankings to both mean something.

Secondly, if the numbers have no basis, why do all your posts about the OC standings include numbers? They should really only be grouped by who has beaten whom, when, based on this logic of rankings only matter. Doesn't seem like that would make a lot of sense.

Also - people wouldn't freak out over partial recaps is rankings only matter - because the information in there would be worthless. Why put a number on something if we aren't expected to analyze it scientifically?

I agree with you that the scores should be rational and consistent.

I'm simply pointing out that, a lot of the time, they're not.

(I post about the numbers to help drive people's attention to this forum, because I think Open Class corps get too little attention. But I take them with a grain of salt.)

(I post about the numbers to help drive people's attention to this forum, because I think Open Class corps get too little attention. But I take them with a grain of salt.)

Thank you Mr Brigand for your discussions, they are alway enlightening. And I agree, Open Class does not get the attention or credit. Those performers work every bit as hard.

And I greatly appreciate everything you do! Was just playing a little devil's advocate!

We need more OC advocates like you!

Just because someone got a 60 last night does not mean they deserve a 60 or more the next. There's this awful preconceived idea that scores have to trend up. But when you have humans doing evaluation based off of their own opinion against a sheet of grey area, you're going to have nightly variations that will drive your batsh*t. But again. A young corps will have more variation in how it achieves. Either way. In an ideal world. They score the groups on the sheets. Hand those in. Score the next, and so on and so on. But in reality they have the ability to go back and change numbers to fit how they see it all together. Like getting a blind kick in the teeth right? Comes outta nowhere

OC doesn't get the credit it deserved. But it also signed it's life away years ago to save itself from bring folded by those who have votes in the activity. Double edged sword they gave themselves.

OC doesn't get the credit it deserved. But it also signed it's life away years ago to save itself from bring folded by those who have votes in the activity. Double edged sword they gave themselves.

Please elaborate

A point to remember is that DCI does not promote groups to World Class. The corps themselves apply for World Class and go through an evaluation to ensure they can handle the financial side of a World Class tour. A group does not need to beat Vanguard Cadets of Blue Devils B in order to qualify for World Class status. Looking at the length of tour that Genesis was given by DCI this year I would guess that they are looking to make that move and DCI is testing them out.

The other night in Oskaloosa the corps were literally compensated with fresh Iowa sweet corn, 200 ears per corps! OC corps do get something for performing after all!

I'm one of the organizers of the Cedar Rapids show. We have General Mills and Quaker Oats plants in town and they generously donated our prizes. Each corps left with cases of cereal, granola bars and fruit snacks. :)

• Like 2