Mini Corps 2016

Yep..

Not every group can be a Future Corps calibre show. Some have to write and stage based on the talent level of the personnel they have to work with.

But it seems that is what is expected by some.

If you can do that, and have fun- do it! I hope some day to do something with a large ensemble/mini- I'll do my best to make sure it's well played, and hope everyone has a good laugh and loves it- but it's gonna be out there.

Donny can correct me, but I believe it's the version of Georgia by the band Taxi. :)

Random mini corps question, specifically as regards the Ghost Riders:

Why does CorpsReps list one of that mini corps' standard repertoire items in the early 2000s as:

"Georgia on My Mind (from Taxi!)"

Is that "Taxi" the TV show with Judd Hirsch? "Taxi" the Harry Chapin song? Some other taxi? And whichever it is, what does it have to do with the Hoagy Carmichael song?

It is only entertainment for DCA. I have been told this many times.

The corps that took it seriously are mostly gone. Ghost Riders are only the latest on the hiatus list. Mass Brass, Erie, MCL, Golden Eagles, Lambertville, Skyliners et al...have just decided not to do this anymore. We took it more seriously than most realized. It just became too much work and not enough fun! We were doing it wrong.

Ghost Riders are still performing in concert and parade activities. Contact Doug if you would like to have GR at your function.

DA

Mini corps is hard work. Getting players to commit to the time and work involved was a yearly challenge. At Mass Brass we simply ran out of players to fill spots. Ghost Riders always fielded a great corps and show, hell you even won! Here's hoping we see the corps from parts unknown back up there before long.

Edited by pbeau
  • Like 1

It is only entertainment for DCA. I have been told this many times.

The corps that took it seriously are mostly gone. Ghost Riders are only the latest on the hiatus list. Mass Brass, Erie, MCL, Golden Eagles, Lambertville, Skyliners et al...have just decided not to do this anymore. We took it more seriously than most realized. It just became too much work and not enough fun! We were doing it wrong.

Ghost Riders are still performing in concert and parade activities. Contact Doug if you would like to have GR at your function.

DA

just curious, and can't come up with - who is the MCL referred to? doesn't seem to be anyone fitting those initials in the ensuing lists

If you're a competing corps feels you need the time to clean your show for prelims, then there's a good reason you're missing Erie. It's not easy to slap together a show and it be good. Thunder Brigade came up in 2014 but had since moved to DCI SoundSport and toured outv to indy the last few seasons. So costs are likely a concern for them to do both indy and dca.

If you're a competing corps feels you need the time to clean your show for prelims, then there's a good reason you're missing Erie. It's not easy to slap together a show and it be good.

Good point... I'm sure it's a big reason we are not seeing many, if any, competition corps also fielding a mini-corps these days.

FYI... the Erie Thunderbirds who competed at many DCA mini-corps shows (with the exception of the 2014 incarnation of the T-birds) were basically an alumni corps at the time... they didn't compete at prelims.

Good point... I'm sure it's a big reason we are not seeing many, if any, competition corps also fielding a mini-corps these days.

Only recent exception that comes to mind is Cincinnati Tradition two years ago, who had both a competing field corps and a mini corps; the latter played a shortened version of the field show.

• Like 1