Which Corps Will Win What Captions at Finals?

Finals' Caption Winners?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Which Corps Will Win GE at Finals?

• Bluecoats
    • Blue Devils
    • Carolina Crown
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Other
  2. 2. Which Corps Will Win Visual at Finals?

• Bluecoats
    • Blue Devils
    • Carolina Crown
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Other
  3. 3. Which Corps Will Win Music at Finals?

• Bluecoats
    • Blue Devils
    • Carolina Crown
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Other

The poll needs to be more specific. Music includes brass, percussion, and ensemble. Visual includes performance, analysis, and guard. GE includes music and visual. There are trophies for high brass, percussion, guard, visual, and ge.

GE is no longer divided into Music/Visual. It's just GE. However, the judges MAY take their "specialty" more into account to give the best assessment. I'm pretty sure Finals judges are more attuned to the marriage of both.

I didn't know this. When did GE change? The last system I closely looked at was 2012, as follows (from a DCI article):

Breaking it Down

The new system (2012) is divided into eight captions, each with a specific point allotment that adds up to a total of 100 points:

• General Effect: 40 points General Effect Visual: 20 General Effect Music: 20
  • Visual: 30 points Visual Analysis: 20 Visual Proficiency: 20 Color Guard: 20 Each 20-point sub-caption is divided by two
  • Music: 30 points Music Analysis: 20 Music Brass: 20 Music Percussion: 20 Each 20-point sub-caption is divided by two
  • "The Effect captions are weighted most heavily," Cesario says. "Within each caption, there are sub-captions which detail "What?"—that is the challenges given to the performer, as well as "How?"—the qualities the performers brought to the event."

I didn't know this. When did GE change? The last system I closely looked at was 2012, as follows (from a DCI article):

Breaking it Down

The new system (2012) is divided into eight captions, each with a specific point allotment that adds up to a total of 100 points:

• General Effect: 40 points General Effect Visual: 20 General Effect Music: 20
  • Visual: 30 points Visual Analysis: 20 Visual Proficiency: 20 Color Guard: 20 Each 20-point sub-caption is divided by two
  • Music: 30 points Music Analysis: 20 Music Brass: 20 Music Percussion: 20 Each 20-point sub-caption is divided by two
  • "The Effect captions are weighted most heavily," Cesario says. "Within each caption, there are sub-captions which detail "What?"—that is the challenges given to the performer, as well as "How?"—the qualities the performers brought to the event."

As of 2014, it's GE1 and GE2. Both are allowed to comment on any aspect of the show although GE1 is judged by someone with a visual background and GE2 by someone with a music background. It hasn't made a lot of difference in practice - you still see the GE1 judges rewarding visual and GE2 judges rewarding music.

I really feel like this is the year someone new takes home the guard caption.

After seeing Crown live I can confidently say they are going to win guard this year. (This opinion, not gospal :P) Edited by cjf20

After seeing Crown live I can confidently say they are going to win guard this year.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I would think it would be quite foolish to say confidently that Crown would win guard over the 8 year consecutive champion. I'm not even commenting on this year's race and both groups are talented, but you might be a little heavy handed in that statement.
  • Like 2

After seeing Crown live I can confidently say they are going to win guard this year.

Well , although I would agree it is an outstanding guard BUT I have seen a few sheets ( no, no hidden conspiracy ..lol ) and I think although it is possible but it will be very close. And not just with 2 corps

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I would think it would be quite foolish to say confidently that Crown would win guard over the 8 year consecutive champion. I'm not even commenting on this year's race and both groups are talented, but you might be a little heavy handed in that statement.

That's on me, I forgot to include that it was an opinion so I see where you're coming from.
  • Like 1

The poll needs to be more specific. Music includes brass, percussion, and ensemble. Visual includes performance, analysis, and guard. GE includes music and visual. There are trophies for high brass, percussion, guard, visual, and ge.

Since we have had very little to go on regarding sub-captions (outside of the handful of leaked recaps), it is easier to go with the overall caption level for educated voting purposes.