Thumbs up & thumbs down, so far.....

Not going so far as to title this winners and losers, because all the corps are winners, right?

Thumbs up - achieving or surpassing expectations

1. Bluecoats. Self explanatory

2. Cavaliers. Reconfiguring of the design and teaching teams pays dividends.

3. Academy. Top 12 written all over this corps

4. Lower tier of World Class - From Oregon Crusaders to Pioneer all have all upped their game in 2017.

5. Spirit of Atlanta. They exist as a viable organization. Don't underestimate what that means.

Thumbs down - the offseason hype didn't help

1. Cadets. Raise your hand if you saw this coming all Winter. I see a lot of hands up.

2. Troopers. Must be the new uniforms, right?

3. Boston Crusaders. Who will be the 2017 Messiah? The last 3 big names haven't lived up to the homers crowing

4. DCI Board. The decision to not publish recaps = epic fail on many levels. The last thing judges need is less accountability. Maybe the answer is more judge training?

• Like 4

Thumbs up for:

1. Bluecoats
  2. Blue Devils
  3. Academy (so good)
  4. Carolina Crown
  5. Santa Clara Vanguard
  6. Phantom Regiment - LOVE the music and their brass line. LOVE their guard, but the visual program is poor for that level of talent.
  7. Blue Stars
  8. Crossmen
  9. Colts
  10. Pacific Crest
  11. Genesis
  12. and others

My "meh" corps (thumbs sideways)

1. Cadets - not what they wanted, I'm sure, but even if you hate the theme and design there is plenty to enjoy in the brass and percussion and just watching them march.
  2. Cavaliers - I'm not as wild about the theme or the props, but it's nice to see the Green (black) machine performing so well.
  3. Madison Scouts - I saw the show early season via online and thought it could gel into something special. It just seems cutup and not very focused. Music is too choppy.
  4. Troopers - Love the sound of this brass line, and the show overall is enjoyable at times, but the theme is too general and there is nothing that pulls me in. They've been very sloppy marchers for much of the season.
  5. Boston - Lots of talent and I like the props, but the show ultimately didn't capture my attention like I thought it would, especially considering I love that music but the way they have arranged it it loses me.

Thumbs down for:

1. Partial Recaps - a huge mistake on DCI's part. Recaps are a talking point. They generate buzz and keep interest and chatter at a peak. Judges are highly educated and trained.
    • This sort of thing makes it look as though DCI doesn't trust their judges or that they don't believe the training is working. Which is it?
    • Because if we trust them to make the right call (whether fans like it or not, and that's the fun of it) then DCI should not be worried about full recaps.
    • Many fans always say they want to see more fluctuation in scores and placements. That will happen when their favorite corps can actually beat another corps, or when their corps at least improves in a specific caption enough to overtake a rival.
    • Changing the judging system, the criteria, or who sees the numbers will not make your favorite corps better.
    • Good judges talk about the numbers all the time. They like to be informed and to know how various corps are doing in other captions. Doesn't mean they will change their number in their content area. They are supposed to be professionals. I think most judges would have no problem putting someone's brass or percussion or guard much further down the ladder if that's what they deserved, even if the corps was a potential top 3 unit.
  2. I decline to give any corps a thumbs down. Kids work too hard. So do staff. Some shows simply miss the mark, and of course we all have different tastes. I haven't seen a show this year that I can't find some enjoyment in.
  • Like 4

Thumbs up:

1. SCV: I am so excited to see them surge this year. Been a while since they have overtaken Cadets (and I'm not really happy about that aspect, but still, it's an achievement for them and I am glad to see it).

2. Cadets: Glad to see them improving and especially glad to see the guard is improving as well.

3. Bluecoats: Kudos to them for putting a huge stamp on the direction of the activity as well as a spectacular show.

4. Crown: HORNLINE!!!!!!

5. BD: HORNLINE!!!!!

Thumbs Down:

1. Cadets: I was not happy with the staff change because I knew it would have a detrimental effect on the placement this year. Also, I think more attention needs to be paid to the basics of marching. From what I have seen so far, it is not their best (and I believe a lot of it has to do with the new staff).

2. Bluecoats: Although the show is fantastic, I have seen quite a bit of errors in terms of basic stuff that need to be worked on (i.e., feet-phasing, bad marching technique).

3. RECAPS!

• Like 2

Thumbs Up - :smile:

Cadets. I really like this production. What I like even more, Cadets haven't quit bringing others to the same conclusion!

Vanguard. Reminds me most of my "good 'ole days."

Crown. Things keep "get'n finer in Caroliner."

and . . .

DCI Media. Crawling back to what it needs to be!

Thumbs Down - :unhappy:

Licensing hurdles, and the few corps who don't make it over all of them.

Rain. "Do the wash after Midnight, Mom!"

Uniforms - Hits and Misses

• Santa Clara Vanguard - Classic look, highly visible. Best uniform this year.
  • Scouts - Same as Vanguard, great drum corps look, visually effective
  • Bluecoats - Not everybody can wear a unitard, it looks great on Bcoats and highly effective. Most original uniform of the year.
  • Colts - Coming in under the radar, the Colts uniforms look great from the stands and are very effective visually.
  • Blue Devils - Always original, a look that might not work for others, they MAKE it work.
  • Academy - Classy looking up close, the all-black is marginally effective from the stands.
  • Troopers - A confused mess, not sure about the purpose of making the belt and belt buckle "hanging down". Visually the pale tunics look good from the stands.
  • Crown - Looks better up close than from the stands.
  • Cadets - Took the iconic, most recognized branding of a McDonald's and turned the look into burnt toast, for no apparent reason.
  • Cavaliers - Best use of the look from Capt Picard's Star Trek the Next Generation, a 20 year-old series. The jackets make no sense with the "pillow case pleating from your mom's couch from the '70's" look on the shoulders.
  • General - Other corps please take note, gray is a poor look on the field, there is NO general effect even though you think you are being clever by "hiding" the dirt. Gray fails every time it is tried.
  • General - The two-toned look is visually ineffective.

Special Mention: Phantomettes and Crown's guard; stunning.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

a few kudos

Bluecoats...interesting production

Crown...hornline,guard and vastly improved...percussion

Academy...one of the only properly explained productions

Troopers...hornline is a massive positive to an otherwise fair production

Negatives

The overall productions take too long to develop and by shows end still haven't figured it out

Once more designing for a judging criteria that doesn't engage the paying customers

The absolute sameness of the productions..we all know the exceptions...but watching 20+ corps at a time gets very dreary..

• Like 1

Not going so far as to title this winners and losers, because all the corps are winners, right?

Thumbs up - achieving or surpassing expectations

1. Bluecoats. Self explanatory

2. Cavaliers. Reconfiguring of the design and teaching teams pays dividends.

3. Academy. Top 12 written all over this corps

4. Lower tier of World Class - From Oregon Crusaders to Pioneer all have all upped their game in 2017.

5. Spirit of Atlanta. They exist as a viable organization. Don't underestimate what that means.

Thumbs down - the offseason hype didn't help

1. Cadets. Raise your hand if you saw this coming all Winter. I see a lot of hands up.

2. Troopers. Must be the new uniforms, right?

3. Boston Crusaders. Who will be the 2017 Messiah? The last 3 big names haven't lived up to the homers crowing

4. DCI Board. The decision to not publish recaps = epic fail on many levels. The last thing judges need is less accountability. Maybe the answer is more judge training?

How are the Troopers a thumbs down? Just because of their uniforms?

1. I decline to give any corps a thumbs down. Kids work too hard. So do staff. Some shows simply miss the mark, and of course we all have different tastes. I haven't seen a show this year that I can't find some enjoyment in.

I so agree with this. No MM or staff member or designer sets out early season - full of the promise of a new show - thinking - oh this show just doesn't work.

I give a thumbs up to the corps who take the judges feedback and make the show better, which is every single one of them!

That being said I DO have some standouts.

:thumbup:

Vanguard

Bluecoats

Blue Devils

Cadets (All I need is the Respighi)

Cavaliers

Academy

Pacific Crest

Seattle Cascades

Oregon Crusaders

Pioneer

(Oh yeah one thumbs down: the demise of the fan network as we knew it.)

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 4

Thumbs Up.....thanks for another entertaining and interesting season that is coming to a close. I'm glad DCI is very competitive on ALL levels. This makes DCI better IMO. Can't wait for Quarters this Thurs. in theaters.

• Like 1