SECOND Best Storytelling Show of All Time

Because PR 2008 Spartacus is #1 - without debate.

"...without debate?" I disagree with this premise. There are plenty of Wizard of Oz shows that "tell the story" better in both music and drill than the story of Spartacus in 2008, which in part included music from "The 300."

And forget "of all time" it's still debatable within this century.

Cadet's Angels and Demons for instance was a very effective story telling show that didn't need a libretto.

• Like 1

Seconded.

It's definitely my favorite in recent memory by far......

Agreed.

This and Colts are the only shows this year that actually keep me captivated for the entire 12 minutes....

Yes, I'm a homer, but I kinda like the Spirit shows of a few years back -- ATL Confidential, Speakeasy, or Sin City. They were fun, told a story, and were easy to follow.

Second best of all time? Probably not, but I thought they were well done and got a great response from the audience.

nobody going to bring up Madison's Pirate show in '97? for shame. Madison 2013, also solid.

I figure there ought to be a separation of shows that tell a story in a vacuum and shows that tell a story based on a priori knowledge of the music. For example the '89 SCV show, how much 'story' can you form if you have zero knowledge of Phantom? just two different conversations based on the different tools. so for me I exclude the broadway adaptations for a different conversation.

shows in which the Story is the absolute forefront of the show... think Cadets 2006, 07, 08, Colts in 2014/15, have never been particularly effective to my taste. they interest me on first watch, but then every watch thereafter I try to look Around the story...and frequently I find that the parts of the show which aren't story end up slowing down when the show wants you to be watching story. Cadets 07 is an exception,but in that one I get frustrated because the Front of the story is so obtrusive to some really, really good notes.

Bluecoats 08, despite its technical dirt, is an excellent show for making the story the most desirable thing to watch while not sacrificing drill. that bit when the boxers are each in their respective squares than then fold into one square? fantastic. the drill is intense but always centers around the story. Compared to, say Cadets this year, where the first few watches I was always looking elsewhere and so the conflict between the stonemen never really hit home with me because I missed developments while I was looking elsewhere.

I applaud Crown's linear storytelling being reflected on the field position. it's a gutsy move to have the visual climax of the story take place practically in the endzone.

and it's easy to follow even if you miss a 'chapter' because you were looking elsewhere.

"...without debate?" I disagree with this premise. There are plenty of Wizard of Oz shows that "tell the story" better in both music and drill than the story of Spartacus in 2008, which in part included music from "The 300."

And forget "of all time" it's still debatable within this century.

Cadet's Angels and Demons for instance was a very effective story telling show that didn't need a libretto.

Angels and Demons! I can't believe I didn't think of that! It was great storytelling.