SECOND Best Storytelling Show of All Time

I'm in agreement with Garfield and 1988 SCV with 1989 pretty close.

Spartacus 2nd, but pretty close.

I would also have to give a shout out to Crown but I'm torn as to whether I would pick 2011 "Rach Star" or 2013 "E=mc2"

I think Phantom 2010 deserves some kind of a special mention. Most viewers see a clear, compelling, emotionally resonant story in it, yet it uses absolutely none of the normal tools of DCI story telling. There's no characters, props, narration, dialog, tarps, panels, giant flags, nada.

Truly an impressive piece of show design.

• Like 2

The problem is distinguishing the difference between a theme and a story. 97 madison to me was a theme a la blue stars le tour (which is very underrated in my opinion) not a story so much like Spartacus that followed on person or couple (as in academy's case) throughout the show. I loved how phantom did turandot in 2012, but as one poster said does replaying an existing story (broadway) count or should it be an original story. So many shows to choose from each a little different.

Edited by mountaineers97

The problem is distinguishing the difference between a theme and a story. 97 madison to me was a theme a la blue stars le tour (which is very underrated in my opinion) not a story so much like Spartacus that followed on person or couple (as in academy's case) throughout the show. I loved how phantom did turandot in 2012, but as one poster said does replaying an existing story (broadway) count or should it be an original story. So many shows to choose from each a little different.

Very true. As stories go it's much easier for an audience to follow a story they already know. For example Spartacus and turandot both have stories that already exist to help story board ideas.

Much harder for an audience to follow an original story. Which make shows like the academy all the more impressive!!!

I think Phantom 2010 deserves some kind of a special mention. Most viewers see a clear, compelling, emotionally resonant story in it, yet it uses absolutely none of the normal tools of DCI story telling. There's no characters, props, narration, dialog, tarps, panels, giant flags, nada.

Truly an impressive piece of show design.

Yep I mentioned them as my pick earlier this thread. It's absolutely phenomenal storytelling without being too literal

1987 Sky Ryders was pretty cool.

• Like 1

2014 Blue Devils.

Their story was based on the best-selling book "How To Crush All Competition." :ninja:

• Like 1

2014 Blue Devils.

Their story was based on the best-selling book "How To Crush All Competition." :ninja:

Oh why did DCP take away the +/- buttons???

:-)

• Like 2

I liked the childhood depiction done by Suncoast Sound in 1988 both musically and visually.

• Like 1