DCI Live On-Demand question

So I signed up for the Allentown live shows and saw that you can get on-demand of the season for a lot of corps, so I got that even though it was expensive.

Is there any way to lower the quality of the on demand video, so it can stream better? The live stream worked great and the commercials always load perfectly, of course, but the actual show video buffers constantly and has a 10 fps frame rate. Very disappointed

DCI website and DCI Live are a joke btw

(snip)

Is there any way to lower the quality of the on demand video, so it can stream better? The live stream worked great and the commercials always load perfectly, of course, but the actual show video buffers constantly and has a 10 fps frame rate. Very disappointed

The Allentown "actual show" worked 100% in my home state of rural West Virginia. The video was great, the audio was great. NO BUFFERING, no freezes, no problems whatsoever.

And "yes" you can lower the quality of the stream. I have 50 mbs internet and watch in beautiful 720p quality, the highest rate. The 720p is crystal clear when played within the Media Player. If I go Full Screen the picture gets slightly blurry, as expected. The audio quality doesn't change when full screen is played.

If the broadcast works ANYWHERE without problems then it is NOT the fault of DCI Live because the feed is getting out properly.

The problem is on YOUR end.

Edited by wvu80

I don't have experience with the new on demand interface, but I do know that I can stream flawlessly, but as soon as I try and watch one of the free videos in that player, I start to have major problems. Buffering video to the point of the video being unwatchable, if the video plays at all. Even then, the whole thing is likely to crash. I have no idea why it behaves this way, but it has since DCI Live was rolled out last season.

• Like 1

So I signed up for the Allentown live shows and saw that you can get on-demand of the season for a lot of corps, so I got that even though it was expensive.

Is there any way to lower the quality of the on demand video, so it can stream better?

If you have decent equipment (computer, internet speed) I'd run the streaming no slower than 720p as someone else said. Honestly I have had no issues all summer with DCI Live. It has worked fantastic for all shows and for the big regionals I push the stream from my iPad to my Apple TV on my big 55 inch TV. It's just an awesome experience. Oh, occasionally DCI Live will freeze for a few seconds, but that's been pretty rare for me.

Streaming is not easy, but it's more possible today than ever before and DCI is doing a good job. They don't have the heavy-weight technology that networks and major companies have, but I appreciate how far they've come with this.

Many of the complaints raised by fans about DCI Live have more to do with their [the fans] equipment or their internet service. Some areas of the country simply don't get the best speeds, some internet providers are better than others -- and people purchase different speeds of internet. Some people have inadequate computer with chip processors for live streaming. A fast chip with plenty of RAM and a good video card can go a long way.

Now, as for the DCI video player app for watching other features, it's not very good. It's always slow and trying to buffer and never seems to work smoothly. I almost never go to that anyway, at least not until they finally bring back Fan Network features that I miss. That may take some time.

Edited by jwillis35

MAYBE. Before going to full screen in the bottom right hand corner of the small screen you should see the word "BEST". Next to that is an arrow. Click it. You will find various resolution numbers there. This is available for the live stream, but may also be there for on demand.

Speaking of on-demand, an additional FULL SEASON package choice should be added to the current menu that INCLUDES on-demand for an additional $20.00, the subscription being valid to April 30th of the following year.

After April 1st, if one wants to see a prior particular season, buy a BluRay or DVD.

Edited by Mellofello01

The Allentown "actual show" worked 100% in my home state of rural West Virginia. The video was great, the audio was great. NO BUFFERING, no freezes, no problems whatsoever.

And "yes" you can lower the quality of the stream. I have 50 mbs internet and watch in beautiful 720p quality, the highest rate. The 720p is crystal clear when played within the Media Player. If I go Full Screen the picture gets slightly blurry, as expected. The audio quality doesn't change when full screen is played.

If the broadcast works ANYWHERE without problems then it is NOT the fault of DCI Live because the feed is getting out properly.

The problem is on YOUR end.

I'm trying to say this without it sounding like an a-hole, so forgive any unintended subtext... but how the hell did you get 50 mb service in rural WV????

I'm trying to say this without it sounding like an a-hole, so forgive any unintended subtext... but how the hell did you get 50 mb service in rural WV????

It's close to DC.

I tend to watch mine on a slight delay. Usually I Start my feed a few minutes after the show starts and I rewind to the beginning. It gives everything a little bit of time to buffer

• Like 2

It's close to DC.

Now that I think about it, I could get 50 mb or faster service if I wanted to pay the extra money and my wife had a business need for it (she works from home).