DCI Eastern Classic - Saturday Aug. 6, 2016

There's nothing to think about if the camera doesn't show 75% of that. What made it to the close-up was a dropped gun and a mob of guard people surrounding the villian. Hopefully they will improve how to capture it before the theater broadcast, since the majority of fans will see it that way, rather than live. As it was filmed yesterday, the old version was easier to read, mainly due to the main action happening up on top of the coach.

The director has been doing a great job of choosing the right camera and zoom all year. Now that he/she has seen the new ending, we might get a medium shot to show the whole effect.

So in PGA (Golf), the cut off for finals is set at a number of golfers plus all ties for that score. Therefore, the number in finals varies from week to week. Since golf scores are in strokes and not tenths, hundredths, and thousandths, why not have DCI set a finals qualifying number (twelve), plus all others within one point?

Edited by JoeDz
  • Like 1

Allentown was my first viewing of Pacific Crest this season.... and I really liked their show, music a lot. The Railroad theme sort of reminded me what BD did with this theme a decade or so ago, but PC did their own unique version of it, and it worked really well, imo. Very entertaining show.. and some really cool brass arranging that connected well sound wise with the Railroad theme too. This was my favorite PC show in several years. Kudos to them.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

Allentown was my first viewing of Pacific Crest this season.... and I really liked their show, music a lot. The Railroad theme sort of reminded me what BD did with this theme a decade or so ago, but PC did their own unique version of it, and it worked really well, imo. Very entertaining show.. and some really cool brass arranging that connected well sound wise with the Railroad theme too. This was my favorite PC show in several years. Kudos to them.

Maybe Pac Crest will pull a BD 2004 and at Semis will do a train leaving the station and leave the field. That was awesome when BD did it. And they only did it for finals night. No one saw it coming.

• Like 3

Ditto. I really enjoyed them all year this year, I think there is some clever symbolism in their show that has gone unnoticed personally in terms of the connecting East vs. West stuff. The music is great, Cold Play ballad is really fun, and the Metheny closer is fantastic. They sound incredibly balanced and lush brass wise, have a criminally underrated percussion section, and the guard was incredibly entertaining and fun to watch live. There is not much wrong or not to like IMO. Hope they get a score surge this week, they deserve it.

One of the hidden gems this year!

• Like 2

So in PGA (Golf), the cut off for finals is set at a number of golfers plus all ties for that score. Therefore, the number in finals varies from week to week. Since golf scores are in strokes and not tenths, hundredths, and thousandths,

why not have DCI set a finals qualifying number (twelve), plus all others within one point?

Not a bad idea!

I would stay with your golf analogy, which was a good one. Why not make all finalists have to be within 10 strokes (ten points) of the leader?

I would further award an overall winner, then give gold medals to corps within 3 points of the winner, silver to 6 points, bronze within 9. This system rewards excellence at all levels, in particular at the top.

Not a bad idea!

I would stay with your golf analogy, which was a good one. Why not make all finalists have to be within 10 strokes (ten points) of the leader?

I would further award an overall winner, then give gold medals to corps within 3 points of the winner, silver to 6 points, bronze within 9. This system rewards excellence at all levels, in particular at the top.

On your first point, all within 10 points of Bluecoats at Allentown would leave us with a finals of 10......no Academy, Madison, or Boston Cru. If we base it on within 1 point of 12th, we get those 3.

As for medals, in Track & Field and Swimming (high school big meets) we give gold for first, silver for second, and bronze for all finalists. To finish 13th in a line-up that starts on Thursday with 41 corps, is quite a feat.

We agree in principle, though.

DCI.....you listening???