Shoremen Brass Classic

We have a voice telling us what music is before the horns come in [for Impulse]. Nice opening statement!

Yes, from the horns. Annoying "opening statement" (and later statements) from the narrator.

You know, I do love "Hymn of Acxiom", but I have yet to see or hear a marching group use it with the original meaning of the song. Everybody just likes it because it's so pretty, but the lyrics are pretty #### haunting, if you ask me.

True, and a point that someone (David Byrne?) made last year, but then again, the composer was apparently pleased with Bluecoats' use of it.

That said, at every DCI competition, there's a song played without any consideration of whether its original lyrics are appropriate.

Anyone know what it is?

True, and a point that someone (David Byrne?) made last year, but then again, the composer was apparently pleased with Bluecoats' use of it.

That said, at every DCI competition, there's a song played without any consideration of whether its original lyrics are appropriate.

Anyone know what it is?

I have nfi what song that would be. Only one I know of that's played at every DCI competition is the Star Spangled Banner.

Flags are now white and green, along with the guard uniforms, further accenting the move to environmentally friendly industrial practices.

This show won't go over well in West Virginia, I'm thinking...

Or Kentucky.

10f1720e80512c0395c65a21eed70ab7.jpg

That said, at every DCI competition, there's a song played without any consideration of whether its original lyrics are appropriate.Anyone know what it is?

I have nfi what song that would be. Only one I know of that's played at every DCI competition is "The Star Spangled Banner".

Ding! Ding!

Yes, that's the one. The music was written originally for a British drinking song called "To Anacreon in Heaven", more than 30 years before Francis Scott Key wrote a poem called "Defence of Fort M'Henry", which were then fitted to the older tune.

Les Stentors.

13892344_10207832359701844_7479369367079

I know! I know! It must be "The Troth". Something to do with a wedding, doubtless.

Oh, good. You can't have a court without a court jester.

Yeah, that character appeared about thirty seconds after I thought, "Maybe this show could use some irony."

Music City.

13921019_10207832465384486_1292824891366

Repeating a question I asked in the Nashville thread: wasn't Jersey Surf told, in their "Bridgemania" show a few years ago, not to have a soloist perform from the DM stand, or risk a penalty?

Sounds like there may be a local kid in the corps. They've got a cheering section here!

Holy cow! I think I met him last year at TubaChristmas in Lorain. There was a local student wearing a Legends jacket just in front of me, and he said he'd made it to the next round of auditions.