Shoremen Brass Classic

Crowd goes nuts as the corps spins around to reveal the shako lights! Huge sound from the corps in response!

The G.E. moment of the night. It even caught me off guard, and I knew from posts here that it was coming!

• Like 1

Company front, but with a wave effect moving from the outer edges to the center!

Did you do the wave with the audience just before 7th's show?

7th Regiment is doing the encore. I'm out of the stands. Significantly fewer bugs.

For the encore, 7th played a cadence, a march, and a pop song: "Shut Up and Dance With Me".

And then the scores happened very quickly, relatively to most DCI shows.

The bugs (midges, I guess, although they are larger than what we see in the spring here) reminded me of that Cleveland Indians playoff game some years ago.

The audience did the wave before 7th Regiment. It was great! Here's my mini-review. (I brought my sister and one friend to their first DCI show here, as well as my girlfriend and friend who I recently introduced to DCI at the early Massillon show... He fell in love. My girlfriend also enjoys DCI a lot!)

Impulse: Personally, I actually enjoyed the narration. I know it's a bit cheesy, but it made the show makes sense and it made me feel good, so as far as I'm concerned, they did EXACTLY what they set out to do for the audience, at least with me. I thought the music was pleasant and you could almost feel the big hits, for a small corps they have a really good tuba section. Great start to the night.

My crew thought the narration was cheesy, but liked the music.

Raiders: A step up from Impulse, but a little step. A very solid guard is what I remember most, however there were some upper-body issues. Almost a preachy show, but overall very enjoyable. Hymn of Axciom was a hit bc the first DCI vid my girlfriend and friend saw was Tilt.

Les Stentors: Very little, and everyone thought they were adorable and applauded their efforts. They had some VERY solid trumpets which kind of saved the hornline. Giant magnifying glass was pretty funny, and the music was in tune, though never got very loud due to their small hornline. (15, at most. 1 mellophone, 3 tubas, 4ish trumpets, 5ish baritones.)

Music City: HUGE step up from Stentors. Opening fanfare was a bit cracked, but you could really feel this hornline. Very emotional music, and YPG was nice. Everyone was wowed and inspired... Absolutely beautiful color scheme and the King was nice on the eyes. Baritone soloist is remarkable, in emotion and technicality.

Legends: Very clean. In Open Class, "goo" is actually kinda cool. They really are a mini Bloo, they really took the "Using electronics to create different colors" and ran with it. And I'm so glad they went after dark, the lights looked fantastic. Very good quality corps, another step up from Music City. (Props to the cymbals.)

Genesis: I thought the narration was bad before... Dear God please change it back to the robot lady. As soon as we heard it, honestly the show was doomed. Everyone was laughing at it, and not in a good way. She sounded 12... Not good. Very good performances by the people on the field, nice brass sound, percussion had swagger. The kids should be proud of the work they've put in.

7th Regiment: Just a lovely show. Everyone, including myself, was puzzled why they didn't score higher. They had great visuals, enchanting music, and the GE was there. Crew favorite, and "Shut Up and Dance" was just great.

Spartans: I liked the vibe and masculinity of this show, but I gotta be honest... I wasn't paying too much attention. They bugs were just too distracting. Good job though probably!

General thoughts: got top of general addmission, so good seats. We were surrounded by Legends fans, and they all left before Spartans to beat traffic, which we all found very irritating and disrespectful to the hardworking kids in the Spartans. Pretty good venue for drum corps, and pretty nice acoustics! But OMG THE BUGS.

Nice show. My sister liked it more than she thought she would, and it was a very pleasant night. If I'm not marching with someone, I'll definitely attend again.

Edited by noahsigs

Genesis: I thought the narration was bad before... Dear God please change it back to the robot lady. As soon as we heard it, honestly the show was doomed. Everyone was laughing at it, and not in a good way. She sounded 12... Not good. Very good performances by the people on the field, nice brass sound, percussion had swagger. The kids should be proud of the work they've put in.

Interesting the different responses people have. The original voice sounded mid-40s to me, while this one felt member-age. (That by itself makes this voice far preferable to, say, Impulse's voice, who lectures like a band director--and that's not a compliment.) The original was flat and lacked affect, the replacement has exuberance and passion (sometimes aided by electronic manipulation). She's not perfect, but for me, she's definitely an improvement, and perhaps just as importantly, they've cut the amount of dialogue significantly from what they had in the early season.

General thoughts: got top of general addmission, so good seats. We were surrounded by Legends fans, and they all left before Spartans to beat traffic, which we all found very irritating and disrespectful to the hardworking kids in the Spartans. Pretty good venue for drum corps, and pretty nice acoustics! But OMG THE BUGS.

I wasn't there, but I'll bet Legends had a meal immediately following performance. Probably what you saw was family, friends, and volunteers heading back to the food truck to meet the corps and hand out food and hugs. Guarantee no disrespect was meant to Spartans or any other corps.

• Like 1

I wasn't there, but I'll bet Legends had a meal immediately following performance. Probably what you saw was family, friends, and volunteers heading back to the food truck to meet the corps and hand out food and hugs. Guarantee no disrespect was meant to Spartans or any other corps.

Yes, that is the case.