This saddens me greatly

I think it can be more difficult for some corps to not meet expectations than others. Executive leadership has a lot of influence over how kids respond when things get difficult on tour. I also take something written on an Internet message board with a grain of salt. It very possible this poster is having a bad year because the experience is not what he or she expected. Attitude will determine how other members treat you. Your son probably has a great attitude, plus he is marching with a corps that is at the top of their game. Put those two things together and yes, time of his life.

Executive leadership is always reflected in the leaders underneath them. The fish always stinks from the head down.

There will always be Debbie downers in every organization, especially one with a lot of youngsters, but those people stick out like sore thumbs if the organization has strong, ethical leaders. The selfish, negative members are either helped to get with the program, or helped out the door.

An organization that is filled with back biting, disloyalty and gossip is that way because the leaders are that way. It's as simple as that, and that's true for every organization that ever was. I've had the misfortune of working for those sorts of people, and the good fortune of working with the opposite a few times. The words above couldn't be truer. If the organization is gossipy and unpredictable, get out and enjoy the parade.

• Like 1

Having a great attitude and marching with a top corps does not equal having a time of your life. Again, if the environment is not a healthy one, get the heck out. Go somewhere else.

that's true, but in my son's case it does. still feel back for this original mm's bad experience.

This happens...

You see the same people every waking moment of every day... You are always together and it can get tough. I remember the paradox in feelings I always had after finals... My thoughts always went something like this:

"Thank God it's over... I CAN'T WAIT until I never have to see (insert name here) ever again"

followed almost immediately by:

"I can't believe I'm never gonna see (insert SAME name here) again. I am really gonna miss them"

The trick is to push through this. By the end of July, regardless of scores, you've had enough. By the end of July, you lose track of days of the week (it's either a show day, a rehearsal day or a travel day). I often didn't know, or particularly even care about what city or town we were in because all I was concerned about was did the gym have A/c and did the showers work. You become a cog in the machine. Sleep, eat, rehearse, eat, rehearse, eat, perform, travel to the next show site... wash, rinse and repeat.

And what I wouldn't give to be under 21 and be able to do it all again.

• Like 7

This is not meant to be a blanket statement, but...

Socially, I have noticed a difference in 150 members corps to 128 member corps. The maturity of the group plays into it as well.

Just an observation from teaching both. That would be an interesting sociological experiment, if it hasn't been done already.

This is not meant to be a blanket statement, but...

Socially, I have noticed a difference in 150 members corps to 128 member corps. The maturity of the group plays into it as well.

Just an observation from teaching both. That would be an interesting sociological experiment, if it hasn't been done already.

What do you mean a difference in 150 versus 128?

What do you mean a difference in 150 versus 128?

Maybe what was meant is 150 mm versus 128 mm has more variables in personalities, work ethic, etc., etc. And that is for mm's. To support 150 mm's the organization needs to be bigger. More variables. Good leadership watches out for negative attitudes and behaviors and ensures they are managed or better yet avoided or eliminated. The entire org and its success, sustained success, particularly the paying mm's, is the primary concern for the org's. leadership. IMO

Wow my gut reaction to all of this is that MMs need strong leadership in cases like this. Staff and DMs need to work just as hard at keeping morale up as they do making the show better. I only experienced tour with one corps, as a cook truck volunteer, and there were problems brewing, as there always are. The director addressed the problems directly and solutions were discussed in a timely fashion and put into place. I felt the staff did all it could to nip any and all problems in the bud. The well-being of the corps seemed to always be the goal, as it should be. I often felt that the director was a dad to everyone as he dealt with homesickness, illness, injuries and one crisis after another.

Kids expect it be tough and when it is, they can and will respond. And many pay their money to do it all again the following year! So corps are doing something right.

• Like 1

Wow my gut reaction to all of this is that MMs need strong leadership in cases like this. Staff and DMs need to work just as hard at keeping morale up as they do making the show better. I only experienced tour with one corps, as a cook truck volunteer, and there were problems brewing, as there always are. The director addressed the problems directly and solutions were discussed in a timely fashion and put into place. I felt the staff did all it could to nip any and all problems in the bud. The well-being of the corps seemed to always be the goal, as it should be. I often felt that the director was a dad to everyone as he dealt with homesickness, illness, injuries and one crisis after another.

Kids expect it be tough and when it is, they can and will respond. And many pay their money to do it all again the following year! So corps are doing something right.

I wouldn't get too worked up about that posting. Every MM is pretty much over drum corps by the end of the season -- until it's actually over. Then they miss it like he##.

• Like 3

I wouldn't get too worked up about that posting. Every MM is pretty much over drum corps by the end of the season -- until it's actually over. Then they miss it like he##.

That is usually true. But one thing about an activity like drum corps - and there's not too many many like it - the activity is fraught with herd mentality, tough always wins, peer pressure, take one for the team, battling through challenges, and don't let them see you sweat. Now, for the most part, drum corps teaches things well beyond music. Life lessons. I wouldn't have traded it for the world. I would encourage, and have encouraged, all to participate. HOWEVER, each situattion can be unique. It's too easy to think and say "it's common to feel that way"..when, in fact, it's not. Talk to the director, talk to a corps member leader, share what you are experiencing. It may not only help you, but others who wish not to come forward as well. Feedback should always be welcomed. If not, that's telling you something too.

• Like 1