This saddens me greatly

I didn't get to Yocco's or Ham Fam this year. Usually these two Allentown food joints are a great place to hear about the experiences of marching members since the sitting quarters are so close and at some times, one conversation blends into another and everybody is talking to everyone.

Most of the time you hear about family, occasionally you hear about cliques.every now and then you can spot a loner.

I know two young people who marched with the same corps, same years, aged out together. This corps has a reputation for being rather tough to march for, and one cannot hear the name of the corps without tearing up. It pains him to watch them rehearse or perform cause he is no longer a member but he can't stay away from them and visits every chance he gets. He loved everyone in the corps and appreciated every moment. The other practically uses the name of the corps as a curse, bad mouths just about everyone in the corps (except this young man she refers to as a "Sweetie"), and believes her summers with this corps were the worst and loneliest in her life. Ironically the young woman who hated her experience wants to instruct.

All in all, I think it depends on the personalities involved. My guess is each corps will have those who love everyone, can't believe it's over and will vow to keep in touch, and others will delete the corps members as Facebook friends and Twitter followers in the taxi to the airport after finals.

How many of us work in an office, or a factory, or a garage, or on a route with a person we can't stand? That person who gets under our skin almost every time we see him/her?

Yea, drum corps is like that. Drum corps teaches "life".

Push through, make the best of it, if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything, smile, find the common goal and work towards THAT.

Yep, life.

It's why I love drum corps for kids and strongly encourage mine to take part.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

That is usually true. But one thing about an activity like drum corps - and there's not too many many like it - the activity is fraught with herd mentality, tough always wins, peer pressure, take one for the team, battling through challenges, and don't let them see you sweat. Now, for the most part, drum corps teaches things well beyond music. Life lessons. I wouldn't have traded it for the world. I would encourage, and have encouraged, all to participate. HOWEVER, each situattion can be unique. It's too easy to think and say "it's common to feel that way"..when, in fact, it's not. Talk to the director, talk to a corps member leader, share what you are experiencing. It may not only help you, but others who wish not to come forward as well. Feedback should always be welcomed. If not, that's telling you something too.

All well and good. I guess my comment was in reaction to "this really saddens me". While I agree with you that communication between members and leadership is vital, it's also worth remembering that even people who profess to have loved every second of drum corps didn't actually love every second.

• Like 1

That is usually true. But one thing about an activity like drum corps - and there's not too many many like it - the activity is fraught with herd mentality, tough always wins, peer pressure, take one for the team, battling through challenges, and don't let them see you sweat. Now, for the most part, drum corps teaches things well beyond music. Life lessons. I wouldn't have traded it for the world. I would encourage, and have encouraged, all to participate. HOWEVER, each situattion can be unique. It's too easy to think and say "it's common to feel that way"..when, in fact, it's not. Talk to the director, talk to a corps member leader, share what you are experiencing. It may not only help you, but others who wish not to come forward as well. Feedback should always be welcomed. If not, that's telling you something too.

Exactly. Let the director address it.

• Like 1

How many of us work in an office, or a factory, or a garage, or on a route with a person we can't stand? That person who gets under our skin almost every time we see him/her?

Yea, drum corps is like that. Drum corps teaches "life".

Push through, make the best of it, if you have something nice to say don't say anything, smile, find the common goal and work towards THAT.

Yep, life.

It's why I love drum corps for kids and strongly encourage mine to take part.

I have also worked at offices where virtually every division was at each other's throats; passive aggressive behavior was the norm. This is what I think is described in the Reddit post, not merely the odd duck who drives everyone nuts. Maybe the poster is exaggerating. Maybe he/she is not. Maybe the member is the problem. Maybe it is an institutional problem. The life lesson I learned from the dysfunctional organization where I worked was that it was better for my well being, and my family's well being, to move on. I am glad I did. I am healthier for it. My family was better off because I did. I am not suggesting this mm quits now that he/she is at the finish line of this season, but I hope this particular mm finds a place where he/she can thrive in the future. Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

Bottom line (Though I'm placing this at the top): Drum Corps is a microcosm of real life.

If the entire corps has a bad attitude, look at the staff.

If the staff has a bad attitude, look at the management.

If the management has a bad attitude, walk away, BUT not before fulfilling your commitment. Tough it out for one more week and be a model member.

That's the lesson of maturity you are there to learn.

The audience knows nothing about this, nor should they. They love you.

• Like 3

Bottom line (Though I'm placing this at the top): Drum Corps is a microcosm of real life.

If the entire corps has a bad attitude, look at the staff.

If the staff has a bad attitude, look at the management.

If the management has a bad attitude, walk away, BUT not before fulfilling your commitment. Tough it out for one more week and be a model member.

That's the lesson of maturity you are there to learn.

The audience knows nothing about this, nor should they. They love you.

Great advice , also posting dislikes on social media has sent mm's home. I have no doubt of this. Talking it out with the powers to be is always best. If that doesn't work then like in life you have a choice in a week.

members have been at each other's throats for a few weeks now. There is nothing but passive aggressiveness throughout every caption and horrible attitudes in general.

Sounds like great preparation for you to join DCP

• Like 4

Or, to paraphrase Mrs. Obama...

If they go low...you make sure you go high.

• Like 3

This is really very simple. An organizations attitude is a direct result & reflection on it's leadership. Whichever corps this is, the attitude problems are managements fault. I never ever once experienced anything like this in the Madison Scouts. Scott Stewart & the rest of the staff constantly talked about teamwork & brotherhood. Every corps member knew that if someone was creating problems, the other corps members, especially the corps veterans would handle it.