Blue Devils Percussion is Currently in 4th place as of 8/6

While we were recording livestreams of BD's rehearsal we over heard a staff member telling the line that a couple years ago they were in the same highschool in the same position, and they came back from 4th to take home a trophy. It was unclear what year they were referring to, but he for sure said they were currently in 4th place.

Thoughts? Opinions? Who do you think are ahead of of them?

SCV

Based off of what has been leaked I'd assume it's...

1) Bloo

2) SCV

3) Cadets

4) BD

5) Crown

Edited by snare_guy_83

If BD is currently 4th in percussion, then thats quite a surprise for me to learn.

I miss the recaps. Bring them back DCI. Why penalize the fans ? They had nothing to do with the reason the recaps were withdrawn from the public, despite its being available to the public for 4 decades.

If BD is currently 4th in percussion, then thats quite a surprise for me to learn.

I miss the recaps. Bring them back DCI. Why penalize the fans ? They had nothing to do with the reason the recaps were withdrawn from the public, despite its being available to the public for 4 decades.

I think the reality is (and this was even the case last year) that there are a ton of really, really good lines. It's not like BD has a bunch of new people...they return seven snares from last year's Sanford-winning line. I think issues have been two-fold...BD take a 'stage-->refine-->formalize-->clean' approach visually. From my perspective, the percussion ended up buried near midfield and behind the horn line for almost the entire show. In contrast, many of the other lines were right there up front and accessible. With the ensemble percussion sheet, being able to evaluate both the front ensemble and battery is important. This is where they were getting beaten up the worst. Field percussion-wise, it created accessibility problems. Secondly, they've been scoring very high in content, and low in execution. Some really ridiculous stuff being put out there, but you have to do it out on the field as cleanly as you do in the lot...and I see they're already working through those issues.

There has been much talk about the carbon fiber drums as well. I've heard a few drummers I know remark that they couldn't hear the battery (save the bass drums) from the stands. Maybe less "ring" compared with traditional drums? Hard to say, but from what I'm hearing, they project just fine when they have a little bit of room to get the sound out. I already see that restaging with both the percussion and the horns around them has occurred (refine-->formalize). Of course, we can't see the detailed recaps but my understanding from (non-BD) sources is that they were very close in drums on Friday. It wouldn't shock me to see them repeat a drum title, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them place lower...it's just that strong at the top.

• Like 2

The quality of each line for each corps has been outstanding. It wouldn't be surprising to see the Coats be 4th one night then 1st another.