Tour of Champions Massillon, Ohio 8/8/16

Since no one else'll do it......

I read what you said. And you're saying that even if Blue Devils lose they still won because the judges are wrong and judged with "emotion".

I mean, that is going to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

On Crown, I think there are some faults story wise but if you can't follow that I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty cut and dry after seeing them live and countless times online. Father gets shot. Son goes after killer. Winds up in a bar. Gets into a fight. Relives the murder. Confronts killer. Boom. Done.

On Bluecoats, no it's not deep and no it's not a story. I've read MANY interpretations of their show on here, and none of which lead me to believe that they are just bull ####### it saying they have a theme and really don't.

On BD, I don't think anyone marches better this year and I don't think anyone matches them as an ensemble, but that's about it I'd say they are superior in. Otherwise they'd be winning. They have a solid show. The opener and ballad are amazing. Then there are spots in the Caliban section and closer that have me a little eh, and I'm not alone on that. That's of course just my opinion though, just like you obviously very strongly have yours. You mention an underrated percussion section.........the few recaps I've seen seem to match what I hear as a drummer pretty well. They have a pretty ridiculous book that they aren't achieving yet. ScoJo likes to write some insane stuff, but sometimes it needs to be watered down a bit for them to win the caption. See 2013.

And just the idea that you think DCI is throwing everyone else a bone, and that TONS of judges this summer are just judging on emotion and not giving BD what they deserve is so ridiculous to me. There are so many of the judges whose opinions I highly respect, and trust to make the right decision. To think it's all fixed to just let someone else win is a load of horse ####.

I really enjoy BD this year, and think they could very easily pull it out this weekend and deservedly so, but to say the game is rigged and whoever wins is just out of emotion and not because they deserve it is about as cocky, pretentious, and arrogant as it gets. Good for you, you won some Golds with them. Great.

I defended BD last year after they won due to some pretty nasty stuff coming from fans of other corps, but if this is the kind of crap from BD homers we're going to get count me out on doing that again.

First BD fan in awhile on here that's left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 8

Crown's show hinges on their ability to tell a story, and they are still having difficulty doing so.

Here's an example.

That's a slap in the face to the entire staff that put this show together. Sorry that you can't follow it, but clearly it's being sold to the majority of the audience.

Instead you could have said

"Personally, I'm not buying the show because the storyline isn't lining up for me, but they're still an amazing corps and are performing the hell out of their show."

One sentence, the way you meant it, worded differently. How you word your opinion changes the entire mood of your post.

Yep. It's my opinion backed up by the sheets.

Examine the top three shows. Crown's show hinges on their ability to tell a story, and they are still having difficulty doing so. Like I posted, their brass section is phenomenal, but that is just one of many components that come into play. Bloo is a GE monster, but there is no through line to their show other than various members running up and sliding down the ramps in an attempt to validate their title of "Down Side Up" (their "architectural" approach does not help explain their original approach). BD has, musically and visually, the superior show, which is nothing new. The backlash against them winking three in a row is what is their biggest challenge at this point in time. They march better, they play better, their drum line is vastly underrated, and the general consensus in the drum corps world is that folks don't want them to three peat. Do other corps in the top three have fantastic shows? Absolutely. Are they out designing and out performing the Blue Devils? According to what appears on the sheets, no.

If the Devs do their job and are accordingly judged, they win three in a row next week.

I don't need a hat. Thanks for the gold medal (I'll place it next to the ones I have already won as a member in WGI and DCI).

My post was not done in "arrogance". Which, by the way, is the defense mechanism all folks who do not want to see BD win fall back upon.

Seriously? Address what I posted. Stop regressing to nonsense. BD, if judged by the sheets, should win next week. Period. Any other winner will be awarded according to emotions.

Everything bolded is an example of arrogance. I read all of these over again and cannot turn this around to be any other way. You may not have meant it, but it has been perceived as so.

• Like 1

I read what you said. And you're saying that even if Blue Devils lose they still won because the judges are wrong and judged with "emotion".

On Crown, I think there are some faults story wise but if you can't follow that I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty cut and dry after seeing them live and countless times online. Father gets shot. Son goes after killer. Winds up in a bar. Gets into a fight. Relives the murder. Confronts killer. Boom. Done.

On Bluecoats, no it's not deep and no it's not a story. I've read MANY interpretations of their show on here, and none of which lead me to believe that they are just bull ####### it saying they have a theme and really don't.

On BD, I don't think anyone marches better this year and I don't think anyone matches them as an ensemble, but that's about it I'd say they are superior in. Otherwise they'd be winning. They have a solid show. The opener and ballad are amazing. Then there are spots in the Caliban section and closer that have me a little eh, and I'm not alone on that. That's of course just my opinion though, just like you obviously very strongly have yours. You mention an underrated percussion section.........the few recaps I've seen seem to match what I hear as a drummer pretty well. They have a pretty ridiculous book that they aren't achieving yet. ScoJo likes to write some insane stuff, but sometimes it needs to be watered down a bit for them to win the caption. See 2013.

And just the idea that you think DCI is throwing everyone else a bone, and that TONS of judges this summer are just judging on emotion and not giving BD what they deserve is so ridiculous to me. There are so many of the judges whose opinions I highly respect, and trust to make the right decision. To think it's all fixed to just let someone else win is a load of horse ####.

I really enjoy BD this year, and think they could very easily pull it out this weekend and deservedly so, but to say the game is rigged and whoever wins is just out of emotion and not because they deserve it is about as cocky, pretentious, and arrogant as it gets. Good for you, you won some Golds with them. Great.

I defended BD last year after they won due to some pretty nasty stuff coming from fans of other corps, but if this is the kind of crap from BD homers we're going to get count me out on doing that again.

Just to be fair, plenty of people on here create a bunch of judging conspiracies on here to suggest BD's championships/caption awards (Zingali comes to mind) are undeserved.

I don't agree with jsd though, even as a BD fan.

Just to be fair, plenty of people on here create a bunch of judging conspiracies on here to suggest BD's championships/caption awards (Zingali comes to mind) are undeserved.

I don't agree with jsd though, even as a BD fan.

Yeah but those are a dime a dozen on here. If I took on all of those I'd be a recluse......lol.

And when I post something that questions their show telling, I am labeled as "crude".

You are on point, by the way. The story makes no sense.

Well, that's the difference between us. I think the story makes some sense, but is currently open to more interpretations than are helpful.

The Cadets were on fire tonight! They seemed very mature, and the changes to the cakes/mannequins really do help. Also, Statue Guy works better shirtless, seriously. I couldn't stop watching the ending fight.

I hadn't seen their show for a while, and never yet live, and was more impressed than I expected to be.

Hearing that Crown may have a few hidden cards tucked away in their back pocket that we haven't seen yet... this could get interesting. :cool:

In the Old West, you were liable to be shot for cheating at cards.

• Like 2

Wow.

I wasn't trying to "leave a bad taste in your mouth". I was defending my corps. Did you rip on all of the Cadets homers on this board?

Go back and re-read what I posted. I wrote nothing that wasn't true or realistic. If they lose, then Bloo or Crown had the better performance. That's what I wrote. Plain and simple

You call me out on being a "homer", but then do the same thing for other corps.

Yep. I won me some golds. That was not the point. I was trying to discuss the corps this year. Bloo is awesome, Crown's show makes no sense, but their brass is awesome, and I really think that BD has the best show. And yes, I want to see them three peat.

Scores:

7. 84.500 Madison Scouts

6. 87.850 Blue Knights

5. 90.250 Cavaliers

4. 91.775 Santa Clara Vanguard

3. 91.800 Cadets

2. 94.800 Carolina

1. 94.950 Bluecoats

This was the order I had them in, although I thought Bloo would be closer to a half-point ahead of Crown, and that Cadets would be two points or less behind them.

My first time seeing BK, Cadets, and SCV live. BK, as I already noted, is very sloppy in the feet, and not living up to the promise I felt in the early video of their unfinished show from Stanford; still, a lot of interesting things about it. SCV are gorgeous but not particularly exciting for me. The audience really liked the cymbal-ending, though. Cadets had a remarkable musical clarity, but their visuals need a good deal of cleaning yet.