Form and steps

HI all, this topic might have been beaten to death somewhere else on here, but I couldn't find it. My question is when did spacing, staying in step and form recognition become a thing of the past? I was looking at the stills from Allentown and wow. I was amazed that even the top performing corps .. especially ones that in the past had a great reputation for the old M and M were very much a bit of a mess. I would find it embarrassing to have still pictures on a major website of a cluster of my corps errors.

So, is this just me being a dinosaur? Is this all a thing of the past?

Thanks,

John

XMen 80-81

With so many points earned come from visuals, you would think simple drill moves such as marching/jogging would get extra practice to get the intervals better. Especially when the mm are up front and easily seen by the judges. There seems to be no excuse with a section not playing and having your intervals from 2 to 5 feet. Maybe not enough eye movement and too much time watching the DM's when the musicians already have the beat. The cg should have even less issues since they are usually spaced out and can move there bodies and eyes more often to check their spacing and make corrections. Hopefully during hard individual drill moves by the brass, a mm can stop playing for a few seconds and concentrate on their drill moves.

Edited by Ghost

HI all, this topic might have been beaten to death somewhere else on here, but I couldn't find it. My question is when did spacing, staying in step and form recognition become a thing of the past? I was looking at the stills from Allentown and wow. I was amazed that even the top performing corps .. especially ones that in the past had a great reputation for the old M and M were very much a bit of a mess. I would find it embarrassing to have still pictures on a major website of a cluster of my corps errors.

So, is this just me being a dinosaur? Is this all a thing of the past?

Thanks,

John

XMen 80-81

Look at some old videos

• Like 1

Visual demand today involves much more than drill. With so much body movement, variation of pace, physical demand, dance, and choreography requirements of each member, it's probably more challenging to clean today than yesterday. I'd also say that there is a lot more layering going on now that in the past. Ever-changing subtleties throughout the show will create some visual cleaning challenges almost all the way up through finals week.

Seems very clear to me that drum corps has turned in to a battle of the deisgners with little to do with M & M.

Who can place the most crap on the field, stagecoaches, trampolines, slides, scaffolding, ramps, run, slide ..........etc.

Which is proven by the ridiculous amount of GE tallied for scores. Bunch of designer geeks coming up with ideas to take away the effect of marching and technique of drum corps . Why not cirque de solei it and have folks hanging from drapes off the rafters?

Telling stories is good, when your concentrating on the performers telling the story through music and motion, not gimmicks. To me there needs to be more of a balance..ie Cadet West Side Story, SCV- Phantom of the Opera, Spartacus.....Great story telling, music, execution both musically and marching without all the distraction of trying to understand what these so called "designers" intend. I think its crap that you have to come on DCP for someone to explain what the so called "designers "want you to interpret from their so called creative minds. Great corps ( place name here) cannot score or move up because their show design doesn't have enough crap on the field like a slide or scaffolding or because you don't have to think about what these masterminded designer intend.

Me personally, I love execution and sound.

• Like 2

Who do you think is marching and playing better than Bluecoats right now? Maybe BD or Crown, but I think by your criteria, the top three are very correct this year.

Seems very clear to me that drum corps has turned in to a battle of the deisgners with little to do with M & M.

Who can place the most crap on the field, stagecoaches, trampolines, slides, scaffolding, ramps, run, slide ..........etc.

Which is proven by the ridiculous amount of GE tallied for scores. Bunch of designer geeks coming up with ideas to take away the effect of marching and technique of drum corps . Why not cirque de solei it and have folks hanging from drapes off the rafters?

Telling stories is good, when your concentrating on the performers telling the story through music and motion, not gimmicks. To me there needs to be more of a balance..ie Cadet West Side Story, SCV- Phantom of the Opera, Spartacus.....Great story telling, music, execution both musically and marching without all the distraction of trying to understand what these so called "designers" intend. I think its crap that you have to come on DCP for someone to explain what the so called "designers "want you to interpret from their so called creative minds. Great corps ( place name here) cannot score or move up because their show design doesn't have enough crap on the field like a slide or scaffolding or because you don't have to think about what these masterminded designer intend.

Me personally, I love execution and sound.

• Like 1

Its been this way since the beginning of DCI. In fact, this is exactly the reason DCI was formed. And since the advent of DCI there has been a successful change (good or bad?) from rewarding performance to rewarding design.

Edited by DAvery