Historic Possibilities

ps.... I did notice that the 1970 American Legion National Championships took place on August 29th, 1970 in Portland, Oregon and had 22 Corps in the Prelims. No Corps from the East Coast of NY/NJ/ NE however went out there and competed with the 22 Corps there for the Top 12, and the Finals Night Competition. So while its true that no Corps from NY/NJ/ NE made the Top 12 that year, no Corps from NY/NJ/NE went out to Portland, Oregon to compete for a spot in the Top 12 that year. As far as I can tell however, going back to recorded Drum Corps History from 1933, Corps from NY/NJ/ NE that competed in the ( Junior Corps ) Drum Corps National Championships, always had between 1-6 Corps in the Top 12 every year. ( that 82 year consecutive streak is susceptible to ending this week however ).

Crap! I missed it. I was 11 years old and didn't even know what drum corps was but I missed it. First and only time such an event would ever take place in my hometown.

Don't think I've seen this one (and easiest one) so far...

Not to play Captain Obvious, but if Bluecoats win, this will be the first time this EXACT 1-12 corps placement lineup has ever happened...no matter what happens in places 2-12.

Of course, the same will hold true that ANY corps wins its first championship. Likewise, it will also hold true that any corps makes the top 12 for its first

time ever.

("Department of Forest For the Trees...can I help you?")

Edited by HornTeacher

My previous smart-alecky post (though not intended that way) got my mind thinking...

You want LONG odds and historical firsts?

What are the odds that, in two consecutive years, the same exact 1800 marchers take the field for finals night competition, assuming that:

A) One of the corps in the second year is making finals for the very first time in their history? (Assuming 150 marchers per unit X 12 units), and;

B) That corps is not a first-year corps, and;

C) Championships are held at the same site both years.

For fun, let's see who first figures out how this could happen in the first place (this part is easy), and for you mathematicians, what are the chances (this will take some work...or a supercomputer)? (One in....)

As for me, I'm not going to waste my cash on that particular ticket.

Edited by HornTeacher

Bluecoats have made finals every year since 1987 except for 1999, almost a 30 time finalist. They never dropped their semi final position, and in every instance that they were in a tie in semi finals, they beat the corps they tied in finals.

With Crown now only being .1 behind Bluecoats and Cadets passing SCV, 2015/16 may join 1983/84 as the only years where the top 5 were in exact same order from the previous year.

If Bluecoats win the championship, Crossmen will be the corps with the most finalist appearances without a championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Drum_Corps_International_World_Championship_finalists