Historic Possibilities

The repertoire listing for the champion would include Justin Bieber if BD wins. Let that sink in for a minute. Champion = Bieber. :hmmm::omg::tic:

There's already been a world champion with "Korean Pop Band" in their repertoire... Bieber would be less shocking than that...

http://www.fromthepressbox.xom/1988dcirecaps.htm

I'm trying to remember, but looking at the order of appearance, it does appear to be a random order. They didn't announce scores and performance order for Finals was a random draw in two groups. As it turned out, BD went on right after the 11th and 12th place units, which might explain their below expected result.

It was a random order, but the only corps that were affected were Cavies and BD. If it went in order of semis placements, the order would have been:

1. Cavies

2. SCV

3. BD

4. Madison

5. Cadets

It went:

1. BD

2. SCV

3. Cavies

4. Madison

5. Cadets

Madison beat BD by 1.2 in semifinals. People seem to forget that. I was there. You cannot accurately judge or even get the full effect of a performance from video. I thought the top 3 had a certain energy to their performances that wasn't quite there with the 4-12 corps. They were all truly awesome. Madison was brilliant visually. Probably the cleanest visual performance I've ever seen. Sure they had brass issues, but in fairness, BD was the only corps that didn't have brass issues. They won brass, which they should have, but really suffered visually. I believe they were 5th and 6th in visual performance and visual GE - not sure which one they were 5th or 6th in. That's what cost them 1st or 2nd place, and I feel their visual scores were fully justified. I think the judges placed everyone correctly, and the not knowing who finished where in semis (except that corps were in 1-5 group and 6-12 group) was thrilling and made sense and enhanced fairness. Judges were forced to judge based on that particular performance. Can you imagine if Madison had won semis with a 97.8 and got 5th in finals with a 94.2? It forced fair judging. It was one of the most thrilling nights ever. Madison was on fire, and their performance was awe-inspiring. Full deserved title, IMO.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 3

If Bluecoats win, will this be the first time Brandt Crocker has not done the "Presenting their [Year] program, [Title], Drum Corps International is proud to present [Corps]" announcement for the winning corps during Finals competition?

I wouldn't be the least big surprised if this happens.

To be honest, I would love that. Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

[referring to 1988]

Madison beat BD by 1.2 in semifinals. People seem to forget that. I was there. You cannot accurately judge or even get the full effect of a performance from video. I thought the top 3 had a certain energy to their performances that wasn't quite there with the 4-12 corps. They were all truly awesome. Madison was brilliant visually. Probably the cleanest visual performance I've ever seen. Sure they had brass issues, but in fairness, BD was the only corps that didn't have brass issues. They won brass, which they should have, but really suffered visually. I believe they were 5th and 6th in visual performance and visual GE - not sure which one they were 5th or 6th in. That's what cost them 1st or 2nd place, and I feel their visual scores were fully justified. I think the judges placed everyone correctly, and the not knowing who finished where in semis (except that corps were in 1-5 group and 6-12 group) was thrilling and made sense and enhanced fairness. Judges were forced to judge based on that particular performance. Can you imagine if Madison had won semis with a 97.8 and got 5th in finals with a 94.2? It forced fair judging. It was one of the most thrilling nights ever. Madison was on fire, and their performance was awe-inspiring. Full deserved title, IMO.

This was definitely an interesting year. Part of the excitement was not only the random draw for Finals and not announcing scores for Semifinals, but I think what gets overlooked is that the Madison Scouts went to Europe for a month during tour. Not before or after. They competed in a few shows in June, then left for Europe, then came back in late July.

I went to see them early that year (either Dekalb or Whitewater) and my buddy and I left thinking that Madison had top 5 written all over them. For those that saw them early I don't think they were a shock when they arrived home. But when they returned for DCM prelims and finals they came in 3rd at prelims and 4th at finals. That threw fans off and made them think they were not in the hunt.

I saw them again in Morgantown, WV when they returned from Europe. It was a late July show, like July 29 or so. *edit: it was August 3. I remember Garfield beating them, but only by a tenth or two. I also remember walking out of the stadium and my girlfriend saying to me "Madison is way better than Garfield and will eventually beat them." She could tell, and had I not known of Garfield's recent history (winning 4 titles in 5 years) I would have agreed with her.

I think most fans who had not seen Madison early basically got used to seeing BD win everything that summer, and the only challengers seemed to be SCV and maybe Garfield if they could figure out how to refine that Copland 3rd Symphony show. Everyone figured it would be a cakewalk for Devils, but if you spoke to staffers from other corps, they would tell you watch out for Madison. More than a few told me that.

In the end, Madison had the visual, the performance, the GE, and one killer punch in Malaguena. I couldn't attend finals, but on the PBS broadcast when I heard Steve Rondinaro say "We may have a darkhorse" and then after Madison finished he said "this place is electric" I though...it's over. :)

1988 was a fun summer. I think I went to 14 shows that summer.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

From a brass perspective, yes, but their visual numbers in both GE and performance were really low for a contending corps. Let's face it though, when Madison got hot in August, no one was going to beat them.

I was lucky enough to be there for all three days in KC. Hot and humid. It was also the last time the didn't give out scores or recaps (only in Quarter finals/Semi finals), it also may have been one of the top 2 or 3 shows I've ever seen. Madison was right on in everything they did - the perfect storm, in semis. Vanguard just about knocked Madison out the next night with a great performance of Phantom. Wasn't that the year that BDs soloist choked every Soprano solo so badly in finals that DCI put the Semi-Finals show on the CD and DVD or was it 1989? I remember really feeling for the kid, it just wasn't one solo, I think it was 3 of them, lips just gave out. Being a mellophone/French horn player, I'd had it happen before.