Indy "Logistics, Food, Meet-Up, Travel, General Advice" Thread

This is an unofficial thread for people traveling to Indianapolis for Finals Week who want to communicate with each other purely about logistics, including, but not limited to, best places to park, best places to eat, best places to lodge, potential meet-ups in the city of Indy with sub-groups within drum corps, e.g. (Drum corps fans who love Sushi, Drum Corps alumni who love speaking French, etc. etc.), questions about event times, tickets, and seating, and any other logistical questions that will help attendees of Finals.

If you have information that could benefit the drum corps community attending this week's Finals, please feel free to post. If you have questions about anything, please post. Thanks!

• Like 2

I bring my brother and good friend who are marginally interested in DCI, but do this so we can get together for the weekend away from the kids and SO's. We usually stay downtown but couldn't this year because prices were outrageous. We've been coming to Finals here since it began in 2008 (yes, 2008 was in Bloomington, but DCI fooled us into reserving Indy hotels). But this year, We are staying in Carmel, and will be going to Bub's Burgers. And checking out Crown Hill Cemetery to see the headstones of Benjamin Harrison, John Dillinger, and I am determined to find the "non-existent" Kurt Vonnegut gravesite (Vonnegut always said he would not be "captured" by Crown Hill like the rest of his family, but I don't buy it).

Otherwise, after having gone to a number of the same places (Ram, Fogo, St. Elmo's) over the years, we want to go to the Rathskeller and Nicky Blaine's. Have wanted to go to these aces but never have.

I've never seen one drum corps person here but Napolese near the capital circle is owned by the Patachou company. Terrific eatery with craft beers, cocktails, and artisan pizzas along with small plates.http://napolesepizzeria.com/

Oh gosh I've been there. Really solid.

• Like 1

This will be the first time we stay outside of the downtown area. What are the best places to park for Lucas Oil access?

About three blocks east of the stadium on E. South St, just east of the Slippery Noodle and across from the White Castle, is a surface lot where we've been parking since 2009. $5 for the full day on Thur and Fri, and $10 for the show on Sat. Great deal, easy access from there to the interstate, and never had any problems with security. We've always arrived a couple or few hours before the show and never been turned away. But I know it's filled when we leave the stadium, which says to me "Get there early and go shop souvies". Highly recommended.

You can also park in the mall garage that's attached to the Omni hotel. It's more expensive but a decent option. Will take you about 10 -15 minutes to walk from there to the stadium.

• Like 3

If flying into Indy, you will not need a car to reach downtown. Options include a Super Shuttle van, an express Indygo bus for about 10 bucks, or my favorite - the $1.75 Indygo number 8 bus, which has ample service. Exact change or just pay the extra 25 cents, and slip 2 ones into the fare box.

You will easily find the airport bus stop near the rental car counters.

When I visit New Orleans, Los Angeles, Winnipeg, or San Antonio, I ease into the start and end of those trips on a local city bus.

Indygo is a good, safe option. You may be tempted to leave the #8 bus en route to the Hoosier capitol, at the Goodwill outlet (wear gloves), the Waffle House (bring an appetite), or the Indianapolis Zoo.

I concur with Garfield's surface parking lot suggestions east of the stadium on South Street at Meridian by the Slippery Noodle.

Have you ever ridden a Green Bay city bus? One of THEIR policies is NO ROUGHHOUSING.

If time permits, check out the excellent Indiana State Fair. Grab the frequent 39 bus at the Downtown Transit Center, at Washington and Delaware. The DTC opened in June, and we public transit riders appreciate its air conditioning and clean washrooms. Bus fare $1.75 or a day pass for $4.

Finally, again this year, I have splurged on roundtrip Megabus tickets from Chicago for one dollar each way.

Otherwise, after having gone to a number of the same places (Ram, Fogo, St. Elmo's) over the years, we want to go to the Rathskeller and Nicky Blaine's. Have wanted to go to these aces but never have.

Love the Rathskeller. Haven't been to Indy in several years, but we always make it a point to go to the Rathskeller whenever we're in town.

Haveli has a great Indian buffet for $8 right across from where they do Soundsport. Short walk from the stadium, definitely worth it. It goes until 2 pm I believe.