Open Class World Championship Prelims - 8/8/16

I'm always amazed how BDB and VC clean and get these huge score jumps the last few weeks when lower WC corps like Oregon, Mandarins and on down stall or barely make gains at this time. Right now BDB and VC are ahead of both Mandarins and Oregon. Scores will increase tomorrow night as well.

I realize things will sort themselves out at prelims and semis. But it is rather amazing how these top open class scores lag behind world class most of the summer then pass a bunch of corps at the end. Do they have more practice time? Show length has been discussed as well. I assume BDB and VC are fielding shows as long as WC shows, yes?

Edited by luv4corps

I'm always amazed how BDB and VC clean and get these huge score jumps the last few weeks when lower WC corps like Oregon, Mandarins and on down stall or barely make gains at this time. Right now BDB and VC are ahead of both Mandarins and Oregon. Scores will increase tomorrow night as well.

I realize things will sort themselves out at prelims and semis. But it is rather amazing how these top open class scores lag behind world class most of the summer then pass a bunch of corps at the end. Do they have more practice time? Show length has been discussed as well. I assume BDB and VC are fielding shows as long as WC show, yes?

I think SCVC and BDB has the luxury of the design team and some crossover from the A corps. They've had some amazing shows the last several years, and SCVC are one of the best playing hornlines in drum corps. They have been for years. I think you're going to see Legends start to be in that top level consideration as long as they keep designing shows that do well. They've got a great influx of membership, and a fantastic staff whom all buy into the program. But i think it goes back to staffing that make very efficient usage of rehearsal time, membership that continue to perform at a high level, continued interest from great new members to replace those who move up to WC or age out, and a design team that sets them up for success before they even have a first rehearsal.

I realize things will sort themselves out at prelims and semis. But it is rather amazing how these top open class scores lag behind world class most of the summer then pass a bunch of corps at the end. Do they have more practice time? Show length has been discussed as well. I assume BDB and VC are fielding shows as long as WC show, yes?

scores are comparative only when a contest is mixed OC/WC.... As you said, things will work out Thursday.

Just read that the Legends DM is in his 9th year with the corps. Talk about dedication.

And he still has one more year. He's pretty awesome!

• Like 1

Well done, Legends.

I think Genesis has a monster show, designed to crack the top two, but maybe it was a bit too much.

Anyway, I'll be at Finals tomorrow (must sleep now), but I don't have a smartphone, so no updates from me, sadly.

In some recent years, some corps who failed to qualify for Finals got to perform in exhibition there, but I see from the schedule that's not the case this year.

Which does mean the evening ends a little earlier, making my drive home a little more manageable!

Last year, the 12th-place score in Prelims was 60.225; this year it is 65.700.

But the 1st-place Prelims score last year was 80.225 as opposed to 79.363 this year.

The spread has tightened.