The End of US Military bands and drum corps?

It's easy for those in congress to go after military music. It shows the public that they are "truly concerned about military spending" without having to actually make any worthwhile cuts. Military bands provide the department of defense a lot more bang for the buck than the .07% of the military budget they receive!

It's easy for those in congress to go after military music. It shows the public that they are "truly concerned about military spending" without having to actually make any worthwhile cuts. Military bands provide the department of defense a lot more bang for the buck than the .07% of the military budget they receive!

I spent my entire military music career either doing public relations concerts (putting a human face to the military) or HS recruiting (rock band) concerts (I also played guitar and synth). What we earned for the military in good will is worth a lot more than just dollars and cents.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine was a USAF musician. He just told me about a number of recent band closures. It seems the bean counters in DC decided to close the Peterson AFB Band in Colorado Springs. What they failed to realize was that band does double duty as the USAF Academy Band.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Sheesh!

A friend of mine was a USAF musician. He just told me about a number of recent band closures. It seems the bean counters in DC decided to close the Peterson AFB Band in Colorado Springs. What they failed to realize was that band does double duty as the USAF Academy Band.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Sheesh!

Might get worse beginning next January.

It was a Republican member of the Armed Services Committee who most recently attacked military music. And a TX Republican rebuked her for it.

It's not a partisan thing, so don't take idiots who let "news" networks think for them seriously.

Anytime somebody in Washington attacks something that has nearly zero effect on the bottom line it's for purely political purposes. Any congressman of any party can score cheap political points off the most ignorant of their constituencies. They do it all the time.

As a Marine musician who acted as a DM and EBL at dozens of events, I saw firsthand the effect bands have on morale and recruiting. Retirement ceremonies were always pretty touching for me. We did hundreds every year, and it really meant something to people who gave 20+ of their lives to military services. Of course, sometimes I wanted to kill them when they decided they wanted the band to wear alphas or blues in the middle of August in North Carolina...

Something to keep in mind: I spoke with a military band member a few years back after finals. He loved his drum corps experience and appreciated the support of the drum corps community for military programs. He also said many military members find it hard to be doing an activity they enjoy while fellow soldiers are overseas in combat. I know this man has seen active duty, but his feeling are similar to many of those who have stateside duties. This alone is a reason we should support military bands. Some, perhaps many, have seen combat and our support not only supports them, but those who are overseas in combat.

There's no priority on military bands. The gubment has more important things to do like renaming the navy job titles lest any tender snowflakes be offended at their male connotations. Seaman. Airman. Fireman. Good heavens I'm so triggered

We're accustomed to seeing the Marine Corps DBC at various DCI contests throughout the country. Phantom Regiment held their 60th anniversary celebration and featured how many of PR's alums fill the military lines. At season's end many MMs consider a future career as a military musician. But even before the November elections bring new or skewed perspectives, talk in Washington has challenged the norms of funding for the musical military units. (Check the Washington Post and NY Times archives for current debates this year in Congress and Defense Dept.)

This article from New London, home of 7th Regiment and their neighbors the Coast Guard, shows some of the shifting perspectives.

http://www.theday.com/military/20160808/coast-guard-looks-to-raise-its-bands-national-profile

Years ago when I was in the Army (drafted) and we were not towing a barge from So. Carolina, we would be in port at Ft. Eustis, Va. Every once in a while there would be a retirement ceremony up on the base for the career people. All of the units were required to march in review. Half of our crew had to go (6) diesel fuel boots and all. The stevedore battalion had a drumline. I knew two of them, one was in the Braintree Warriors from Ma. and the other was in the Patterson Cadets from N.J. They would play the cadence for the 1 1/2 mile march to the parade ground where the reviewing stands was. Half way there they would start jiveing (cow bell and all) The officers would fall back and yell "knock it off" The troops loved it !

During the review, the post band played ' Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White " to a military beat. I wasn't supposed to be, but it was hilarious !

I would hate to think that the retirees of this day would have to be on the reviewing stand listening to a crackling CD of some ten member marching band. I do hope that rationale prevails, and the musical tradition in the military remains

There's no priority on military bands. The gubment has more important things to do like renaming the navy job titles lest any tender snowflakes be offended at their male connotations. Seaman. Airman. Fireman. Good heavens I'm so triggered

And getting rid of rates -- MU, BM, GM, etc. Now they have NOS -- job number. Heck, I don't even remember mine. I remember it had a letter after it which designated my major instrument. Sheesh!