Open Class Mixing with World Class

Based on the scores from their prelims, it looks as though several groups will place in that 16-23 world class range.

Four or five of those top groups have much better shows than quite a few world groups, but maybe not the talent? maybe so?

I certainly see room above Spirit. Interesting to see how Thursday shakes out.

Think we'll ever see an Open Class in a Top 12 spot?

Right now both BDB and VC are between Colts and Mandarins in placement, and closer to Colts. I find it hard to believe they are really going to finish quite that high in placement but it could happen. 2014 found BDB in 15th place overall.

It always amazes me how those top open class corps clean up at the very last minute, experience enormous score jumps and pass a bunch of WC corps who are stalling or barely moving up.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

It's happened once I believe. Magic of Orlando came in 11th after winning Div. II (Open class now). I think that was in 2002.

To be fair, they were a Div 1 corps right before that, but because of going inactive for two years, they had to come through Div II.
  • Like 1

It's happened once I believe. Magic of Orlando came in 11th after winning Div. II (Open class now). I think that was in 2002.

True. They had to miss at least one season but in coming back had a Div. 1 size corps. But they could not return as Div. 1; had to be in Div. 2. They cleaned up in Div. 2 and made finals. This was actually 2003, though.

Right now both BDB and VC are between Colts and Mandarins in placement, and closer to Colts. I find it hard to believe they are really going to finish quite that high in placement but it could happen. 2014 found BDB in 15th place overall.

It always amazes me how those top open class corps clean up at the very last minute, experience enormous score jumps and pass a bunch of WC corps who are stalling or barely moving up.

Then maybe those WC Corps who keep getting passed up shouldn't be WC, maybe those top OC Corps should get a shot at it.

True. They had to miss at least one season but in coming back had a Div. 1 size corps. But they could not return as Div. 1; had to be in Div. 2. They cleaned up in Div. 2 and made finals. This was actually 2003, though.

It was 2002. Magic also made finals in 2003 but the year they were division II was 2002.

Z

I don't make many comments on this board, so please be kind. The idea that those low placing World Class corps should drop to Open and that the top in Open Class should make the jump might be missing the point. Pioneer know very well what they are and what they aren't. They provide the full tour (or modified version of it) to their group of students. That BDB or SCVC have the resources and talent to perform at such a high level given a modified touring - "Open Class" experience is great. The idea that the BD or SCV parent organizations would take on the full costs of multiple units traveling the full summer experience is also something to be remembered. Results alone don't make or break the competitive season, and there is a great value in the experience, even if passed up by other units at the end.

• Like 6