DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

Cascade's circles made me immediately think of/want Funyuns.

• Like 1

So. Surf making it to tomorrow?

idk. its still really tough to put that show above the top 4-5 of OC.

I'd agree. They seemed a bit rough out there whereas the top OC were clicking.

Excellent job from Surf, much much cleaner than San Antonio when I was last able to catch them. Surf will be battling it out with Genesis & Spartans for the 24th, 25th, and 26th positions, with one man out, of course. I give the nod to Genesis (highly likely) & Surf (moderately likely). I'll understand the reasoning if Spartans make it in, but I would really like it to be Surf, not only for their sake, but I felt they had a better-put-together show, albeit more laid back and less energetic. Surf had some DELICIOUS power moments, but their greatness lied in little moments throughout the show, and I think those details are what will give them the edge over Spartans. It's not the most exciting drum corps show ever, but it REALLY came together nicely at the end of the season...so many beautiful blues and turquoises and whites, and the gorgeous sunset flags against the waves at the closer, and lots of great little moments of ebbing and flowing throughout.

I'd agree. They seemed a bit rough out there whereas the top OC were clicking.

OC execution seemed much tighter than Surf. It'll be a toss up with Music City and them. I'd still give the edge to Music city.

Also, I think Pioneer's score will have a lot to do with Surf making it in or being left out. I pegged Surf as a good 5-6 points better than Pioneer, so if Pioneer was scored closer to a 70 (I don't think they'll touch 70, though), Surf will be fine. If Pioneer was scored low and ends up closer to a 65, then we could see Spartans in. Either way, I still think Surf was probably better than Spartans. Cascades are showing as (as most of us knew) that they're solidly in....Music City would have to top them in order for six Open Corps to be in Semis, and I would say Scades are a good 5-6 points ahead of Music City. So, really, the battle for those 5 remaining spots (20 world class corps) comes down to the obvious BDB, SCVC, Legends, and 98% chance Genesis, leaving the last spot for Surf or Spartans.

So I'm guessing they are not announcing scores until the end???

It appears so. First, they kill our seeing full recaps. Now, they kill one of the funnest traditions of prelims/semis--getting the scores one at a time.

One of my fondest memories ever was being in the stands with fellow Crossmen fans/alums in 2012 when they announced Blue Stars score and we all realized Crossmen made Finals for the first time in a long time. We went nuts. You don't get the same effect when announced at the end. If you go nuts for an extended time, you don't hear the other scores and you interfere with other people's ability to hear them.