DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

In this respect (putting names of defunct corps on gravestones), Academy is picking up an idea Carolina Gold brought to DCA in 2014:

131_zpsc8032a67.jpg

. I was looking hard for the Guardsmen. I don't think we made the cut. ;-) Sky Ryders and Bridgemen grave markers are easy to find. Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

You are NOT alone in this. Blue Devils were amazing tonight. They should win. Hands down!!!

Was there in personon the fifty

Devils were great but dirtier than normal especially in guard

After seeing all them live I had them in second

I don't think anyone is beating coats this year

Last night I would have had them a point ahead

Just saw the full recaps from last night. Wow, BD and Crown both got nailed in music (the disperity and staggering amongst the judges in their individual scores was incredible), while the Bluecoats we're pretty level across the board in all captions. The bottom line - BD and Crown have plenty room to grow tonight. I still think its going to be tough to beat the Bluecoats but I wouldn't get too excited about the spread, I predict tonight all three corps will be within .5 of each other.

Just saw the full recaps from last night. Wow, BD and Crown both got nailed in music (the disperity and staggering amongst the judges in their individual scores was incredible), while the Bluecoats we're pretty level across the board in all captions. The bottom line - BD and Crown have plenty room to grow tonight. I still think its going to be tough to beat the Bluecoats but I wouldn't get too excited about the spread, I predict tonight all three corps will be within .5 of each other.

Care to share? :smile:

No one is beating Coats

It was very clear in person they are a step above

Care to dump into a spreadsheet to avoid watermark issues? Even if you only have time to do top 17 or 12?

Volunteering to assist if needed.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2

. I was looking hard for the Gusrdsmen. I don't think we made the cut. ;-) Sky Ryders and Bridgemen grave markers are easy to find.

27th Lancers were there.

And, Jim Ott. :-(

• Like 1

Some other stuff from the Cinecast

1. Will Pitts is really coming into his own as a commentator. I thought this was the most comfortable he's looked on camera, and he had clearly done his homework in terms of what he wanted to say about each group. I sort of think he's leaving Rondo and Dennis behind in terms of what he brings to the broadcast.

2. The sideline reporter, sorry forgot her name, also did a good job this year. She has obviously sincere responses to a lot of the performances and did a nice job of making the performer interviews not seem awkward. Kudos to her for picking 11th place Academy as her favorite moment of the night.

3. DCI badly needs to find 2-3 more Will Pitts to add to the broadcast. Younger former participants who've started on a relevant career and can bring better insights and commentary into what each group is doing. Someone from the color guard world would be particularly appreciated.

4. The weakest part of the broadcast is always the reactions to the performances. Rondo: "wow, brass gave me goosebumps. Dennis how about the drums?" Dennis: "Drums were great". Pitts: "And what a guard". It gets old after the 15th repetition. I think they need to be less afraid to say negative things. Tell the audience which section you didn't think was up to par. If you think the drums were so strong, tell us which part of the show really sold you. Etc.

5. Michael Klesch hands down won Best Interview. Both for his substantive comments about why Crown went with a merciful ending, and his stand-up comedy about how Crown could have done the campfire farting scene from Blazing Saddles, but Roxanne won out.

Pete Weber from SCV took a clear second place. It's pretty awesome hearing the writer of the year's best drill talking about how important it is for him that they get the music right.

6. Bluecoats' soloist's wink won the night. I wanted to see a sideline interview with that guy.

• Like 3